-   -   iptables/firestarter (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/229144-iptables-firestarter.html)

Paul Cartwright 01-16-2009 08:58 PM

iptables/firestarter

I am having a small problem with my system. I started a small web server, so I
could share photos. nginx & gallery2 are working just fine, easy to setup and
use! The problem is, I just rebooted, and I have to rerun the iptables
command to open port 80 for my web server again. I see there is firestarter
on my system but it isn't running, and I don't think I ever set it up. All I
want is for my web port rule to start every time I boot, but I can't find
anywhere in the system where iptables is saved, or where to put this one line
rule so it starts every time.
wiki.debian.org didn't have an iptables section, just shorewall.
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

"Umarzuki Mochlis" 01-17-2009 02:35 AM

iptables/firestarter

Perhaps you can run
# update-rc.d <your-desired-program>

To make iptables start at boot-up for every runlevel. never tried this
but i read from http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/iptables_install.html
(check step number 7)

2009/1/17 Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com>:
> I am having a small problem with my system. I started a small web server, so I
> could share photos. nginx & gallery2 are working just fine, easy to setup and
> use! The problem is, I just rebooted, and I have to rerun the iptables
> command to open port 80 for my web server again. I see there is firestarter
> on my system but it isn't running, and I don't think I ever set it up. All I
> want is for my web port rule to start every time I boot, but I can't find
> anywhere in the system where iptables is saved, or where to put this one line
> rule so it starts every time.
> wiki.debian.org didn't have an iptables section, just shorewall.
> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800
> Registered Ubuntu User #12459

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Jeff Soules 01-17-2009 03:24 AM

iptables/firestarter

>> on my system but it isn't running, and I don't think I ever set it up. All I
>> want is for my web port rule to start every time I boot, but I can't find
>> anywhere in the system where iptables is saved, or where to put this one line
>> rule so it starts every time.

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/615 has more information
about this topic.

Personally, I do this:

Ensure that you have your firewall rules set up as you wish them.
Then, edit /etc/network/interfaces to add the following:

# Bring up firewall
pre-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.rules

# And save fw state on shutdown
post-down iptables-save -c > /etc/iptables.rules

However, people seem to be saying that this may have drawbacks, as if
you add a bad rule or otherwise negatively alter your ruleset, it
would get automatically saved. Since I make all edits to my iptables
rules in a shell script that I source when I want to change them, I'm
not too worried about that, but you can see several alternate
solutions from the link above.

Hope this helps!

Paul Cartwright 01-17-2009 11:05 AM

iptables/firestarter

On Fri January 16 2009, Jeff Soules wrote:
> Personally, I do this:
>
> Ensure that you have your firewall rules set up as you wish them.
> Then, edit /etc/network/interfaces to add the following:
>
> # Bring up firewall
> pre-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.rules
>
> # And save fw state on shutdown
> post-down iptables-save -c > /etc/iptables.rules

a few people have mentioned this method, and it seems straight forward..
thanks, I set this up.. hopefully next year, when I reboot, it will update:)
oh, wait, I gotta add a replacement drive soon.. brand-new Seagate Barracuda
drive locked up and quit yesterday!@!!!@!!!