Old 11-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Default [OT?] Replying to posts in debian-user

Hi,

This question has been nagging me every time I reply to some post. What
is the recommended way to reply to any message?

If I use "reply-to-all", icedove adds the original sender in the "To:"
field and the debian-user address in the "CC:" field. If I send it in
this way, will the sender receive two posts? I never received multiple
replies to any of my posts, so I think the list software probably
doesn't send out multiple copies to the same recipient. Am I correct in
assuming this?

In case I was mistaken, my apologies to everyone who has been spammed by
multiple mails from me

Or should I delete the sender's address from the list? I should probably
leave the sender's address as it is if they ask to be cc'd for not being
on the list. What about the other cases?

I know this question is fairly elementary, but thought I'd better get my
basics straight instead of continuing to annoy people with my ignorance.

Thanks & Regards,
Raj Kiran

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 07:30:49PM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> This question has been nagging me every time I reply to some post. What
> is the recommended way to reply to any message?
>
> If I use "reply-to-all", icedove adds the original sender in the "To:"
> field and the debian-user address in the "CC:" field. If I send it in
> this way, will the sender receive two posts? I never received multiple
> replies to any of my posts, so I think the list software probably
> doesn't send out multiple copies to the same recipient. Am I correct in
> assuming this?

No. If you send to two recipeints: the list and a person, the list
can't un-send your message to the person. You would have been sending
two. Mutt has a 'list reply' which only sends to the list. I don't
know about icedove.

> In case I was mistaken, my apologies to everyone who has been spammed by
> multiple mails from me
>
> Or should I delete the sender's address from the list? I should probably
> leave the sender's address as it is if they ask to be cc'd for not being
> on the list. What about the other cases?

Other cases: the code of conduct for debian lists says to just send to
the list.

> I know this question is fairly elementary, but thought I'd better get my
> basics straight instead of continuing to annoy people with my ignorance.

Thanks.

Doug.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Sven Joachim

Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajkiran@gmail.com> writes:

> This question has been nagging me every time I reply to some
> post. What is the recommended way to reply to any message?

To reply to the list only, unless the sender wishes otherwise. See
http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct.

> If I use "reply-to-all", icedove adds the original sender in the "To:"
> field and the debian-user address in the "CC:" field. If I send it in
> this way, will the sender receive two posts?

Assuming he is subscribed, yes.

> I never received multiple
> replies to any of my posts, so I think the list software probably
> doesn't send out multiple copies to the same recipient. Am I correct
> in assuming this?

No.

> In case I was mistaken, my apologies to everyone who has been spammed
> by multiple mails from me
>
> Or should I delete the sender's address from the list? I should
> probably leave the sender's address as it is if they ask to be cc'd
> for not being on the list. What about the other cases?

You should delete the sender's address and reply only to the list.

> I know this question is fairly elementary, but thought I'd better get
> my basics straight instead of continuing to annoy people with my
> ignorance.

There is one tip I have for you: use a mailer that has better support
for mailing lists than your current one, e.g. KMail. Mutt and Gnus
are even better, but they are difficult to set up. If you want to
stick to Thunderbird/Icedove, there is a "ReplyToList" extension at
http://alumnit.ca/wiki/index.php?page=ReplyToListThunderbirdExtension,
but it does not seem to work with Thunderbird/Icedove 2, see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=439369.

Cheers,
Sven

Old 11-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

If I use "reply-to-all", icedove adds the original sender in the "To:"
field and the debian-user address in the "CC:" field. If I send it in
this way, will the sender receive two posts? I never received multiple
replies to any of my posts, so I think the list software probably
doesn't send out multiple copies to the same recipient. Am I correct in
assuming this?

No. If you send to two recipeints: the list and a person, the list
can't un-send your message to the person. You would have been sending
two. Mutt has a 'list reply' which only sends to the list. I don't
know about icedove.

Thank you Doug, I just noticed that when I hit reply-to-all, your email
did not appear in the "To:" list, and just the d-u list address
appeared. However, this was not the case with some other messages. What
I was thinking earlier was that if the list sees that the person in the
"To:" or "CC:" field is also subscribed to the list, then it refrains
from sending the message to that person, since they would have received
it "directly". From now on, I shall dutifully delete the additional
address before sending.

Thank you.
Raj Kiran

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 11-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Sven Joachim wrote:

There is one tip I have for you: use a mailer that has better support
for mailing lists than your current one, e.g. KMail. Mutt and Gnus
are even better, but they are difficult to set up. If you want to
stick to Thunderbird/Icedove, there is a "ReplyToList" extension at
http://alumnit.ca/wiki/index.php?page=ReplyToListThunderbirdExtension,
but it does not seem to work with Thunderbird/Icedove 2, see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=439369.

I have tried that extension, but as you have pointed out, it doesn't
work with the version of icedove I am using. The bug report page says
that a patch has been applied to the source. So probably it will appear
in sid in a few days. I shall retry then.

Thank you for clearing it up!

Regards,
Rajkiran

--