Old 01-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Peter Crawford

Default Retrieving a bios updater from ibm.com

Does anyone have a clever way to retrieve file
spsdks45.exe which has a link on this page?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4MCKB8.html

Iceweasel in Lenny is here.
After I agree to the conditions of use,
transfer appears to happen but no record
is left of the file.

Thanks, ... p. crawford

Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Chris Burkhardt

Peter Crawford wrote:
> Does anyone have a clever way to retrieve file
> spsdks45.exe which has a link on this page?
>
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4MCKB8.html
>
> Iceweasel in Lenny is here.
> After I agree to the conditions of use,
> transfer appears to happen but no record
> is left of the file.

Iceweasel downloaded it fine for me (I didn't have to agree to anything). You
could try using wget from the command line:

wget ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/spsdks45.exe

- Chris

Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Peter Crawford

> From: chris@mretc.net
> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:35:54 -0700
> wget ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/spsdks45.exe

Yes, direct FTP works in milliseconds.

Thanks, ... p. crawford

Old 01-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Andrew Malcolmson

From: chris@mretc.net
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:35:54 -0700
wget ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/spsdks45.exe

Yes, direct FTP works in milliseconds.

Thanks, ... p. crawford

Peter, how will you run it? Do you have a Windows dual-boot on this
machine?

I just wiped out the Vista partition on my T61 by attempting a resize
with gparted (Vista's own reisize feature wouldn't resize more than a
few GB and no amount of fiddling with settings changed this). Therefore
I'd like to know how BIOS updates can be done under Linux alone.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Chris Burkhardt

Andrew Malcolmson wrote:
> Peter, how will you run it? Do you have a Windows dual-boot on this
> machine?
>
> I just wiped out the Vista partition on my T61 by attempting a resize
> with gparted (Vista's own reisize feature wouldn't resize more than a
> few GB and no amount of fiddling with settings changed this). Therefore
> I'd like to know how BIOS updates can be done under Linux alone.

The one update I've done (from Lenovo) came as a bootable ISO image. Just burn
it to a CD, boot up from it, and run the BIOS update.

- Chris