Old 01-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Richard Hector

Default Startup scripts of Debian Lenny don't perform file system check while on battery power

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 20:58 -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 05:20:53AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 01/13/09 04:40, elektra wrote:
> > [snip]
>
> > >The startup scripts issue a warning of the kind "Warning! Skipping file
> > >system check because the system is running on battery power" - I don't
> > >know the exact wording - so the sysadmin has to perform the check manually
> > >after boot-up to avoid data loss...
> > >

> > It's been like that for ages, since a full fsck takes a long time,
> > which would drain the batteries.
>
> Ouch. Shouldn't it give a prompt asking what it should do? i.e. ask to
> skip the fsck and force the mount; or run the fsck anyway (and suggest
> plugging in the computer for the duration).

I'd quite like to have an option to opt-out of a fsck anyway; it's
really annoying when I'm just turning it on for a few minutes to check
my mail before I rush out the door.

Richard

Old 01-16-2009, 03:26 AM
Richard Hector

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 22:18 -0500, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:30:45 +1300
> Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:

> > I'd quite like to have an option to opt-out of a fsck anyway; it's
> > really annoying when I'm just turning it on for a few minutes to check
> > my mail before I rush out the door.
> >
> > Richard
>
> There was a thread about this several months ago; I don't remember much
> about it, but the initial posts seem to contain a fair amount of useful
> information:

Thanks - looks like no 'proper' solutions, but possibly some useful
hacks there.

Richard