Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso

Default GNU info documents ? How?

2009/1/15 Paul E Condon <pec@mesanetworks.net>:
> So, if I have a package for which I don't seem to have an
> info document automagically installed via
>
> apt-get install <package-name> ,
>
> and for which I cannot find another package named,
>
> <package-name>-doc ,
>
> is it reasonable to assume that an info document does
> not exist for that package?

Which one? The documentation might be named something else entirely.

2009/1/15 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net>:
> You should check a package's Recommends/Suggests to
> determine what separate documentation, if any, exists.

Recommends isn't going to help here. Policy forbids packages in main
from Recommending packages in non-free. :-( The package can Suggest a
non-free package, though. So "apt-cache search thepackage | grep
Suggest" can be helpful sometimes to find the docs.

- Jordi G. H.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-01-15 23:50 +0100, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Thursday 2009 January 15 16:27:17 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>Not all of the GFDLed docs have invariant
>>sections, most of them can be found in non-free (not contrib).
>>
>>GNU grep is missing
>>its info manual, although I've contacted upstream and they have agreed
>>to remove the invariant section for the next release (but that won't
>>probably happen soon).
>
> I thought "with invariant sections" meant "safe for non-free" and "without
> invariant sections" meant "safe for main"?

Some Debian maintainers don't bother to package things for non-free.
Thus bash, grep, mailutils, w3-el-e21 etc. don't have info documents
that you can download from Debian mirrors.

Sven