Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Sam Kuper

Default psad, aptitude, man, mutt, all suddenly broken on my Lenny server. I'm very concerned.

2009/1/15 Ken Irving <fnkci@uaf.edu>:
> Maybe /var/ is full; what does df show?

neuromancer:~# df
/dev/mapper/dhcppc0-root
3438968 989100 2275176 31% /
tmpfs 509500 0 509500 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10240 108 10132 2% /dev
tmpfs 509500 0 509500 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb1 233335 17355 203532 8% /boot

Hmm, looks like none of the partitions are full, unless I'm reading
this wrongly...

Thanks for the suggestions, folks - Ken, and Andrew and Boyd too -
please keep them coming.

I should add that because the system drive is encrypted, I can't do a
remote reboot. So I'd like to try diagnostic attempts or solution
attempts that don't require that, if possible. Otherwise, I'll power
the system down until next week, when I'll have a chance to get
physical access to the machine.

Thanks again,

Sam

Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Sam Kuper

2009/1/15 Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>:
> I should add that because the system drive is encrypted, I can't do a
> remote reboot. So I'd like to try diagnostic attempts or solution
> attempts that don't require that, if possible. Otherwise, I'll power
> the system down until next week, when I'll have a chance to get
> physical access to the machine.

I need to get some sleep, so I figure it's probably best for me to
just switch the server off and leave it until I can get physical
access next week. However, I've tried 'poweroff' and 'shutdown now'
but they both just return "bash: /sbin/poweroff: Input/output error"
or similar.

Can anyone think of another reasonable way to turn the machine off
remotely, short of asking someone at the site to do a long press on
the power button?

Many thanks,

Sam

Old 01-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Sam Kuper

2009/1/16 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net>
> On Thursday 15 January 2009, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net> wrote
> about 'Re: psad, aptitude, man, mutt, all suddenly broken on my Lenny
> server. I'm very concerned.':
> >Can anyone think of another reasonable way to turn the machine off
> >remotely, short of asking someone at the site to do a long press on
> >the power button?
>
> I can't remember the exact invocation, but I believe there's a file
> in /proc, related to ACPI that you can echo some digit to in order to get
> the system to power off.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Sam