-   -   psad, aptitude, man, mutt, all suddenly broken on my Lenny server. I'm very concerned. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/228525-psad-aptitude-man-mutt-all-suddenly-broken-my-lenny-server-im-very-concerned.html)

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 01-15-2009 10:16 PM

On Thursday 2009 January 15 16:56:53 Sam Kuper wrote:
>When I try to do that, I
>get an error, "Could not create temporary file!"
>
>/var/log/psad/psad.iptout: Read-only file system
>sh: /var/log/psad/psad.iptout: Read-only file system
>sh: /var/log/psad/psad.iptout: Read-only file system
>[*] Could not open /var/log/psad/fw_check: Read-only file system at
>/usr/sbin/fwcheck_psad line 99.
>[*] Could not open pidfile /var/run/psad/psad.pid: Read-only file system
>touch: cannot touch `/var/run/psad.lock': Read-only file system"
>
>I tried, 'aptitude update', which produced: "bash:
>/usr/bin/aptitude: Input/output error".
>
>I get an error along the lines, "Manual page
>bash(1) line ?/? (END)".

Sound like some combination of running out of space on a filesystem, having to
ext[234] switch into read-only mode, and having I/O to some device hang until
that device is dropped from the system.

That could be all kinds of bad, but I hope not.

At this point, I'd probably shutdown all the services I could, remount all the
filesystems I can readonly, and then start checking all of them. If that
produced any errors, I'd reboot into single-user mode (possibly even off a
recovery disk) and make sure all filesystems get a good checking. Finally,
I'd reboot normally, 'cause I don't like walking my system up from
single-user mode, though you could do that.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 01-16-2009 12:24 AM

psad, aptitude, man, mutt, all suddenly broken on my Lenny server. I'm very concerned.

On Thursday 15 January 2009, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net> wrote
about 'Re: psad, aptitude, man, mutt, all suddenly broken on my Lenny
server. I'm very concerned.':
>Can anyone think of another reasonable way to turn the machine off
>remotely, short of asking someone at the site to do a long press on
>the power button?

I can't remember the exact invocation, but I believe there's a file
in /proc, related to ACPI that you can echo some digit to in order to get
the system to power off.