Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

Default GNU info documents ? How?

On Thursday 2009 January 15 16:06:40 Paul E Condon wrote:
>I know that there is some Gnu nonsense about the license on
>info documents the keeps them from bein part of debian main,
>but how can I gain access to them as an individual user?
>
>Is there a package in non-free or contrib ? What is it's
>name? Are they available on the web? What URL?

You seem to be conflagrating a number of facts:
(1) The GNU project likes to use the texinfo format for their documentation.
(2) The GNU project likes to use the GFDL license for their documentation.
(3) Debian considers the GFDL not DFSG-free.
(4) Because of (3), anything licensed under the GFDL cannot go into main or
contrib. It may go into non-free, under certain conditions.
(5) Because of (4) and (2), much of the documentation for the GNU project is
available from non-free.
(6) Because of (5) and (1), texinfo might appear to be "non-free", but that is
not the case.

Elaborating:
texinfo format files can be in any section.
GFDL licensed files can be in non-free.
Documentation is generally put into $srcpkgname-doc package.
Debian does put the documentation it prepares on the web, but it is not in
texinfo format.

>Is there any difference between info and texinfo? What?

texinfo is the format; info is the command-line reader. The info software is
available in main.

>Is there a document giving information about how to deal
>with this problem for the ordinary user? What URL?

I'm not sure exactly what "this problem" is.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Thursday 2009 January 15 16:27:17 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>Not all of the GFDLed docs have invariant
>sections, most of them can be found in non-free (not contrib).
>
>GNU grep is missing
>its info manual, although I've contacted upstream and they have agreed
>to remove the invariant section for the next release (but that won't
>probably happen soon).

I thought "with invariant sections" meant "safe for non-free" and "without
invariant sections" meant "safe for main"?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
John Hasler

> (3) Debian considers the GFDL not DFSG-free.
> (4) Because of (3),
> anything licensed under the GFDL cannot go into main or
> contrib.

Not true. Only GFDL documents with invariant sections are
non-DFSG-compliant. Not all GFDL documents have invariant sections.
--
John Hasler

Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 PM
tyler

Paul E Condon <pec@mesanetworks.net> writes:

> I know that there is some Gnu nonsense about the license on
> info documents the keeps them from bein part of debian main,
> but how can I gain access to them as an individual user?
>
> Is there a document giving information about how to deal
> with this problem for the ordinary user? What URL?

In general, packages that are effected by this are broken into two, with
the non-free bits given a name like *-non-dfsg (i.e.,
emacs21-common-non-dfsg) or *-nonfree (i.e., texinfo-nonfree).
Sometimes, though, the nonfree stuff doesn't get a special name (i.e.,
tar-doc).

There's no guarantee that this will all be done at the same time.
Sometimes the nonfree stuff gets removed from the main package some
weeks or months before a corresponding non-free package is prepared. So
there is no fixed rule for how to deal with this. When you find an info
file is missing, you'll have to do a bit of searching in the nonfree doc
repositories to sort out what you need, and if it's available. You can
always add new info files manually in /usr/local/share/info/ if you want
to avoid the whole issue.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
Who is your computer working for?

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/faq

Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Paul E Condon

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 05:06:38PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > (3) Debian considers the GFDL not DFSG-free.
> > (4) Because of (3),
> > anything licensed under the GFDL cannot go into main or
> > contrib.
>
> Not true. Only GFDL documents with invariant sections are
> non-DFSG-compliant. Not all GFDL documents have invariant sections.
> --
> John Hasler

So, if I have a package for which I don't seem to have an
info document automagically installed via

apt-get install <package-name> ,

and for which I cannot find another package named,

<package-name>-doc ,

is it reasonable to assume that an info document does
not exist for that package?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Thursday 15 January 2009, Paul E Condon <pec@mesanetworks.net> wrote
about 'Re: GNU info documents ? How?':
>So, if I have a package for which I don't seem to have an
>info document automagically installed via
>
>apt-get install <package-name> ,
>
>and for which I cannot find another package named,
>
><package-name>-doc ,
>
>is it reasonable to assume that an info document does
>not exist for that package?

Not entirely. You should check a package's Recommends/Suggests to
determine what separate documentation, if any, exists. Also, not all
*-doc packages contain texinfo files, so you should read that package's
Description to see if it indicates one way or another.