FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
"H.S."
 
Default sound mixer cannot find audio devices after rebooting with USB headset

Hello,

On Debian Lenny and running KDE, I am using an audio card listed as:
02:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)

and it works fine.

However, if I plug in a headset to the USB port of the computer
(Microsoft LX-3000 in this case, though I don't think it matters) and
reboot the computer with the headset still plugged in, Debian fails to
detect my audio card. I have the sound mixer applet in the panel to
control the volume and stuff. But that applet does not see any audio
device at all. It keeps showing "Select Mixer", but upon clicking on it,
it shows no choices to select from.

If I reboot the computer after unplugging the USB headset, all is well
again.

Basically, the sound system fscks up along with the sound mixed applet
if I start the computer with the USB headset still plugged in.

Am I missing something here? Or is there actually a problem and it is
not supposed to be like this? Should I file a bug?

I have kmix 4:3.5.9-2 installed on this updated Lenny machine.

Thanks.

--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Nigel Henry
 
Default sound mixer cannot find audio devices after rebooting with USB headset

On Thursday 15 January 2009 20:39, H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Debian Lenny and running KDE, I am using an audio card listed as:
> 02:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
>
> and it works fine.
>
> However, if I plug in a headset to the USB port of the computer
> (Microsoft LX-3000 in this case, though I don't think it matters) and
> reboot the computer with the headset still plugged in, Debian fails to
> detect my audio card. I have the sound mixer applet in the panel to
> control the volume and stuff. But that applet does not see any audio
> device at all. It keeps showing "Select Mixer", but upon clicking on it,
> it shows no choices to select from.
>
> If I reboot the computer after unplugging the USB headset, all is well
> again.
>
> Basically, the sound system fscks up along with the sound mixed applet
> if I start the computer with the USB headset still plugged in.
>
> Am I missing something here? Or is there actually a problem and it is
> not supposed to be like this? Should I file a bug?
>
> I have kmix 4:3.5.9-2 installed on this updated Lenny machine.
>
> Thanks.

Hi.

Try adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

options snd-usb-audio index=1

That assumes that your soundcard is card0, and no other cards are using slot1.

The USB starts early in the boot process, and from personal experience with my
usb midi keyboard, which was wrongly read as an audio device, and set as
card0, resulting in the actual soundcard not being able to use slot0, which
it was asigned to.

Adding the line above fixes it for me, and maybe for you too.

Before doing that, and just for a test, try running the command below.

cat /proc/asound/cards

You may well see your headset there as card0, but as your soundcard needs to
be set as card0, this explains why you have no sounds.

You may also find that running alsamixer on the CLI (Konsole) shows a control,
but just for the headset.

This has been a long standing problem with USB devices. Some distro's handle
it better than others, but I've had to deal with it since Fedora core 1 in
2003.

All the best, and I hope the suggestion fixes your problem.

Nigel.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Thierry Chatelet
 
Default sound mixer cannot find audio devices after rebooting with USB headset

On Thursday 15 January 2009 20:39:57 H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Debian Lenny and running KDE, I am using an audio card listed as:
> 02:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
>
> and it works fine.
>
> However, if I plug in a headset to the USB port of the computer
> (Microsoft LX-3000 in this case, though I don't think it matters) and
> reboot the computer with the headset still plugged in, Debian fails to
> detect my audio card. I have the sound mixer applet in the panel to
> control the volume and stuff. But that applet does not see any audio
> device at all. It keeps showing "Select Mixer", but upon clicking on it,
> it shows no choices to select from.
>
> If I reboot the computer after unplugging the USB headset, all is well
> again.
>
> Basically, the sound system fscks up along with the sound mixed applet
> if I start the computer with the USB headset still plugged in.
>
> Am I missing something here? Or is there actually a problem and it is
> not supposed to be like this? Should I file a bug?
>
> I have kmix 4:3.5.9-2 installed on this updated Lenny machine.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
> newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
> filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
> ever having been read.

You have to blacklist usb sound module. I dont remember how to do that, but
googling it should give you the answer. If you dont know how to do it, xjust
say it and I will look for what I have done age ago!!!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 PM
"H.S."
 
Default sound mixer cannot find audio devices after rebooting with USB headset

Nigel Henry wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> Try adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
>
> options snd-usb-audio index=1
>
> That assumes that your soundcard is card0, and no other cards are using slot1.

Sorry, but what is slot 1? Is it the same as card 0. In other words, is
'card n' in 'slot n+1'?


> The USB starts early in the boot process, and from personal experience with my
> usb midi keyboard, which was wrongly read as an audio device, and set as
> card0, resulting in the actual soundcard not being able to use slot0, which
> it was asigned to.

Interesting.


> Adding the line above fixes it for me, and maybe for you too.

hmm ... I will give it a shot before the next reboot.


> Before doing that, and just for a test, try running the command below.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
>
> You may well see your headset there as card0, but as your soundcard needs to
> be set as card0, this explains why you have no sounds.

My internal card is actually card 0 (it always is, with or without the
USB headset connected during the reboot process):
$> cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [AudioPCI ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0xd400, irq 20

or, as the following command shows:
$> aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 0: ES1371/1 [ES1371 DAC2/ADC]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 1: ES1371/2 [ES1371 DAC1]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0



> You may also find that running alsamixer on the CLI (Konsole) shows a control,
> but just for the headset.

Yes, I noticed that. To control my audio card, I have to use:
$> alsamixer -c 0


Which brings a question to my mind, what card number is my USB headset
then? Apparently, 'alsamixer' has a default card number when -c is not used.

>
> This has been a long standing problem with USB devices. Some distro's handle
> it better than others, but I've had to deal with it since Fedora core 1 in
> 2003.
>
> All the best, and I hope the suggestion fixes your problem.

I should also mention that I am using pulseaudio. Other than this
problem of sound mixer applet getting mixed up about card and no seeing
any, pulseaudio works quite satisfactorily. pa (un)detects the USB
headset upon its (dis)connection.


> Nigel.
>
>


Thanks,
->HS
--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 PM
"H.S."
 
Default sound mixer cannot find audio devices after rebooting with USB headset

Thierry Chatelet wrote:

>
> You have to blacklist usb sound module. I dont remember how to do that, but
> googling it should give you the answer. If you dont know how to do it, xjust
> say it and I will look for what I have done age ago!!!
>
>

I will try to find that out, it should not be a problem. However, how
would this play with usb devices that I may connect after booting?

Thanks.

--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Thierry Chatelet
 
Default sound mixer cannot find audio devices after rebooting with USB headset

On Friday 16 January 2009 01:58:03 H.S. wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > You have to blacklist usb sound module. I dont remember how to do that,
> > but googling it should give you the answer. If you dont know how to do
> > it, xjust say it and I will look for what I have done age ago!!!
>
> I will try to find that out, it should not be a problem. However, how
> would this play with usb devices that I may connect after booting?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
> newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
> filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
> ever having been read.

Because I guess hald is looking for audio devices, and when it find the head
set it stop looking for other things. I got the same problem with a webcam
with a mic incorporeted. Blacklisting usb-sound solved the problem, and the
webcam was still working fine
Hope it's helps


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 AM
"H.S."
 
Default sound mixer cannot find audio devices after rebooting with USB headset

Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009 01:58:03 H.S. wrote:
>> Thierry Chatelet wrote:
>>> You have to blacklist usb sound module. I dont remember how to do that,
>>> but googling it should give you the answer. If you dont know how to do
>>> it, xjust say it and I will look for what I have done age ago!!!
>> I will try to find that out, it should not be a problem. However, how
>> would this play with usb devices that I may connect after booting?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>
> Because I guess hald is looking for audio devices, and when it find the head
> set it stop looking for other things. I got the same problem with a webcam
> with a mic incorporeted. Blacklisting usb-sound solved the problem, and the
> webcam was still working fine
> Hope it's helps
>
>

I see. That clears things up a bit. Thanks for the explanation, I will
give this a shot.

Regards.
--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:13 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org