Old 01-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Brian McKee

Default How to regenerate a popularity-contest UUID

Hi All

I have a group of machines I was going to enroll in
popularity-contest, but since they were created by cloning them via
mondo-rescue, the UUID in /etc/popularity-contest.conf is all
identical. I've looked at the FAQ and the README, as well as the man
page and the website, and the only thing I've found is

# This key was generated automatically so you should normally just
# leave it alone.

How do I create a new one?

Brian

PS The popularity contest list seems to be a devel only kinda thing -
I figured I'd ask here before I spammed it....

Old 01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have a group of machines I was going to enroll in
> popularity-contest, but since they were created by cloning them via
> mondo-rescue, the UUID in /etc/popularity-contest.conf is all
> identical. I've looked at the FAQ and the README, as well as the man
> page and the website, and the only thing I've found is
>
> # This key was generated automatically so you should normally just
> # leave it alone.
>
> How do I create a new one?

Does this work ?

dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest

--
Mathieu

Old 01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-01-15 17:45 +0100, Brian McKee wrote:

> I have a group of machines I was going to enroll in
> popularity-contest, but since they were created by cloning them via
> mondo-rescue, the UUID in /etc/popularity-contest.conf is all
> identical. I've looked at the FAQ and the README, as well as the man
> page and the website, and the only thing I've found is
>
> # This key was generated automatically so you should normally just
> # leave it alone.
>
> How do I create a new one?

Look into /var/lib/dpkg/info/popularity-contest.postinst, the
generate_id() function shows you how to generate it.

Deleting the MY_HOSTID line in /etc/popularity-contest.conf and running
"dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest" should also do the trick.

Sven

Old 01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Brian McKee

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2009-01-15 17:45 +0100, Brian McKee wrote:
>
>> I have a group of machines I was going to enroll in
>> popularity-contest, but since they were created by cloning them via
>> mondo-rescue, the UUID in /etc/popularity-contest.conf is all
>> identical. I've looked at the FAQ and the README, as well as the man
>> page and the website, and the only thing I've found is
>>
>> # This key was generated automatically so you should normally just
>> # leave it alone.
>>
>> How do I create a new one?
>
> Look into /var/lib/dpkg/info/popularity-contest.postinst, the
> generate_id() function shows you how to generate it.
>
> Deleting the MY_HOSTID line in /etc/popularity-contest.conf and running
> "dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest" should also do the trick.

Thanks guys. Just deleting the MY_HOSTID line didn't work. Neither
did just running dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest (I had tried that
earlier).

Looking at that postinst file you mentioned shows it matches the
md5sum of a .conf file with a blank MY_HOSTID rather than just
checking to see if it's there. So rather than mucking around making
sure every space was in the right spot, I just deleted the whole
/etc/popularity-contest.conf file THEN ran dpkg-reconfigure
popularity-contest. Tada!

Thanks again,
Brian

PS and my guess was right - it does use uuid