Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Osamu Aoki

Default wireless gui configuration utility

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:25:25PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> Please kindly share your favorite utility that you are using daily on
> lenny amd64/i386 so i can gain something to make my wireless
> experience better.

I do not use wireless but NetwokManager is one to use.

See
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch06.en.html#networkmanager

or you can do hard way ...
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch06.en.html#thewirelesslaninerfacewiththewep

Osamu

Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/15/09 08:31, Alejandro wrote:

2009/1/15 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com <mailto:umarzuki@gmail.com>>

Please kindly share your favorite utility that you are using daily on
lenny amd64/i386 so i can gain something to make my wireless
experience better.

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Wicd is great! give it a try.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

There is, naturally, a Debian package.

$ apt-cache show wicd
Package: wicd
Section: net
Installed-Size: 1828
Maintainer: Python Applications Packaging Team
<python-apps-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>

Architecture: all
Version: 1.5.8-1
Depends: python, python-support (>= 0.7.1), python-gtk2,
python-dbus, wpasupplicant, python-glade2, wireless-tools, dhcpd |
dhcp3-client | pump, net-tools | ethtool, net-tools | iproute

Suggests: pm-utils
Conflicts: network-manager
Filename: pool/main/w/wicd/wicd_1.5.8-1_all.deb
Size: 234686
MD5sum: 192151825a77a28cca39535832a0852c
SHA1: 1b38dc6cdb10620eff98cca99409c08ebc488590
SHA256: 40b64c2e8e21341be4824edfa6e27cb167c4719e8b1488d381 863b682dd84890
Wicd is an open source wired and wireless network manager which
aims to provide a simple interface to connect to networks with a
wide variety of settings.
.
Some of Wicd's features include:
.
1. No GNOME dependencies (although it does require GTK+), so it is
easy to use in Xfce, Fluxbox, Openbox, Enlightenment, etc.
2. Ability to connect to wired and wireless networks
3. Profiles for each wireless network and wired network
4. Many encryption schemes, some of which include WEP/WPA/WPA2 (and
you can add your own)
5. Remains compatible with wireless-tools
6. Tray icon showing network activity and signal strength
Homepage: http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
Tag: network::configuration, role:rogram, scope::utility,
use::configuring

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-15-2009, 01:55 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Alejandro wrote:
> 2009/1/15 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com>
>
>> Please kindly share your favorite utility that you are using daily on
>> lenny amd64/i386 so i can gain something to make my wireless
>> experience better.
> Wicd is great! give it a try.
>
> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
I second wicd and want to note that Debian unstable already have packaged
wicd, so one can just install the deb rather than compiling and installing it
yourself.

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Old 01-15-2009, 01:56 PM
"thveillon.debian"

Alejandro wrote :

> >2009/1/15 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com <mailto:umarzuki@gmail.com>>
>>
>> Please kindly share your favorite utility that you are using daily on
>> lenny amd64/i386 so i can gain something to make my wireless
>< experience better.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Umarzuki Mochlis
>> http://gameornot.net
>>

>> --
>>

> Wicd is great! give it a try.
>
> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
>
> Cheers!

+1 for wicd, with atheros chips (and ath5k driver) and wpa it has
performed very well. During the past release of *buntu 8.10
*NetworkManager has gone crazy on many wireless chips, especially
atheros, and since then wicd has gained a good reputation there too.

It's in Sid/Unstable.

Tom

Old 01-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Alejandro

2009/1/15 thveillon.debian <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com>

Alejandro wrote :

> >2009/1/15 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com <mailto:umarzuki@gmail.com>>

>> * * Please kindly share your favorite utility that you are using daily on

>> * * lenny amd64/i386 so i can gain something to make my wireless

>< * * experience better.

>> * * --

>> * * Regards,

>> * * Umarzuki Mochlis

>> * * http://gameornot.net

>> * * --

>> * * <mailto:debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org>

>> * * with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact

>> * * listmaster@lists.debian.org <mailto:listmaster@lists.debian.org>

> *Wicd is great! give it a try.

> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

> Cheers!

+1 for wicd, with atheros chips (and ath5k driver) and wpa it has

performed very well. During the past release of *buntu 8.10

*NetworkManager has gone crazy on many wireless chips, especially

atheros, and since then wicd has gained a good reputation there too.

It's in Sid/Unstable.

Tom

*but far more stable than NetrworkManager like you say.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Micha Feigin

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:56:03 +0000
"thveillon.debian" <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Alejandro wrote :
> >

> > >2009/1/15 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com <mailto:umarzuki@gmail.com>>
> >>
> >> Please kindly share your favorite utility that you are using daily on
> >> lenny amd64/i386 so i can gain something to make my wireless
> >< experience better.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Umarzuki Mochlis
> >> http://gameornot.net
> >>

> >> --
> >>

> > Wicd is great! give it a try.
> >
> > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Cheers!
>
> +1 for wicd, with atheros chips (and ath5k driver) and wpa it has
> performed very well. During the past release of *buntu 8.10
> *NetworkManager has gone crazy on many wireless chips, especially
> atheros, and since then wicd has gained a good reputation there too.

I also see that. With atheros chip both ath5k and madwifi I see a lot of
disconnects with network manager. wicd is mostly stable although it does lock
up on me every once in a while requiring killing and restarting.

It also allows manually configuring the network address which I haven't found
how to do with network manager and is much more configurable.

On the other hand it's easy to setup a vpn with network manager, didn't see a
way to do it with wicd.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 AM
"Umarzuki Mochlis"

unfortunately wicd isn't getting any wireless network with my wireless
card; broadcomm 4315 on cq40-115au.

2009/1/16 Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:56:03 +0000

>> >< experience better.

>> > Wicd is great! give it a try.
>> >
>> > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
>> >
>> > Cheers!
>>
>> +1 for wicd, with atheros chips (and ath5k driver) and wpa it has
>> performed very well. During the past release of *buntu 8.10
>> *NetworkManager has gone crazy on many wireless chips, especially
>> atheros, and since then wicd has gained a good reputation there too.
>>

> I also see that. With atheros chip both ath5k and madwifi I see a lot of
> disconnects with network manager. wicd is mostly stable although it does lock
> up on me every once in a while requiring killing and restarting.
>
> It also allows manually configuring the network address which I haven't found
> how to do with network manager and is much more configurable.
>
> On the other hand it's easy to setup a vpn with network manager, didn't see a
> way to do it with wicd.
>
>> It's in Sid/Unstable.
>>
>> Tom

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Old 01-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Thursday 15 January 2009 15:31:53 Alejandro wrote:
> 2009/1/15 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com>
>
> > Please kindly share your favorite utility that you are using daily on
> > lenny amd64/i386 so i can gain something to make my wireless
> > experience better.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Umarzuki Mochlis
> > http://gameornot.net
> >

> > --
>
> Wicd is great! give it a try.
>
> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
>
> Cheers!

+1

Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 16 January 2009 02:37:06 Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2009 15:31:53 Alejandro wrote:
> > 2009/1/15 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com>
> >
> > > Please kindly share your favorite utility that you are using daily on
> > > lenny amd64/i386 so i can gain something to make my wireless
> > > experience better.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Umarzuki Mochlis
> > > http://gameornot.net
> > >

> > > --
> >
> > Wicd is great! give it a try.
> >
> > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Cheers!
>
> +1

No, I should say +3 laptops I am looking at, and only one opinion, mine!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Nate Bargmann

I'm late to this party. I use wlassistant as it works for me.

- Nate >>