Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 AM
"Eric Higgins"

Default Unable to upgrade NSLU2 running debian

I've noticed recently that I can no longer perform upgrades on my
Linksys NSLU2 running Debian ARM.
No luck from the debain-arm mailing list, they suggested I try this one.
Any help would be appreciated.

-Eric

# uname -a
Linux NSLUG 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx #1 Tue Feb 12 00:57:53 UTC 2008 armv5tel GNU/Linux

# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
openssh-blacklist
avahi-daemon bind9-host cpio dbus debconf debconf-i18n dnsutils dpkg dselect
initramfs-tools initscripts libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data
libavahi-common3 libavahi-compat-howl0 libavahi-core4 libbind9-0 libc6
libcupsys2 libdbus-1-3 libdns22 libfreetype6 libgnutls13 libisc11 libisccc0
libisccfg1 libkrb53 liblwres9 libpcre3 libssl0.9.8 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2
libvorbisfile3 linux-image-2.6.18-6-ixp4xx locales mt-daapd mtr-tiny
openssh-client openssh-server openssl perl perl-base perl-modules python2.4
python2.4-minimal reportbug rsync samba samba-common samba-doc
selinux-policy-refpolicy-targeted smbclient smbfs swat sysv-rc sysvinit
sysvinit-utils tzdata winbind
59 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/61.5MB of archives.
After unpacking 3514kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in hash element at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/File.pm line 66, <$__ANONIO__> chunk
2.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 3.
Use of uninitialized value in hash element at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/File.pm line 66, <$__ANONIO__> chunk
4.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 5.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 6.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 7.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 8.
Use of uninitialized value in hash element at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/File.pm line 66, <$__ANONIO__> chunk
9.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 10.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 11.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 12.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 13.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 14.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 15.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 16.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 17.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line 18.
Use of uninitialized value in hash element at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/File.pm line 66, <$__ANONIO__> chunk
19.
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.13.26_arm.deb (--unpack):
files list file for package `coreutils' contains empty filename
/var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.13.26_arm.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Bob Cox

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 01:22:48 -0800, Eric Higgins (erichiggins@gmail.com) wrote:

> I've noticed recently that I can no longer perform upgrades on my
> Linksys NSLU2 running Debian ARM.
> No luck from the debain-arm mailing list, they suggested I try this one.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -Eric
>
> # uname -a
> Linux NSLUG 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx #1 Tue Feb 12 00:57:53 UTC 2008 armv5tel GNU/Linux
>
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> openssh-blacklist

[snip]

I saw your post on the other list but was unsure what your problem is.

Firstly, please confirm that you did an apt-get update before the
apt-get dist-upgrade and secondly post the contents of your
/etc/apt/sources.list file.

I am also wondering why a dist-upgrade rather than just an upgrade,
although I doubt if that is anything to do with your problem.

I run etch/arm on one NSLU2 and lenny/armel on another and upgrade both
with few problems so hopefully this is fixable.

That openssh-blacklist package dates back to last May. Presumably you
have not done an update/upgrade for a long time?

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Eric Higgins

Hi Bob,

I did in fact do apt-get update first, and have tried apt-get upgrade
as well and it fails with the same errors.
I usually try to update the nslu2 every month or so.

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ etch main

deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ etch main
deb-src http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ etch main

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main

Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Eric Higgins

Hi Bob,

I did in fact run apt-get update first, and apt-get upgrade fails with
the same errors as dist-upgrade.
I usually try to upgrade it once a month.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Bob Cox

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:31:03 -0800, Eric Higgins (erichiggins@gmail.com) wrote:

[ Please try not to top-post. It makes following the thread so much
more difficult ]

> Hi Bob,
>
> I did in fact run apt-get update first, and apt-get upgrade fails with
> the same errors as dist-upgrade.
> I usually try to upgrade it once a month.
>
> # cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> # deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ etch main
>
> deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ etch main
> deb-src http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ etch main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main

That all looks fine Eric.

However, if you do an upgrade every month, your system should not (for
example) be
wanting to install that openssh-blacklist package which was from May
2008. So something is clearly wrong.

Have you tried googling for <$__ANONIO__> ?

If you do, you will find several links back to this list. I suggest you
search for that string in the following link, as there are several
matches:
http://lists.debian.org/search.html

A quick glance suggests that the problem is some sort of dpkg
corruption, for example, this thread:

You may do better asking again on this list but without referring to
NSLU2 in your subject. It seems that running a slug is not relevant in
this instance, but many people may think that it is and tend to ignore
you ;-)

It is worth noting that etch is very soon to become 'oldstable' and
lenny will be the new stable. If you do decide to upgrade to lenny then
you may want to consider the latest NSLU2 armel installer for lenny here:
http://www.slug-firmware.net/d-dls.php with instructions here:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Eric Higgins

Thanks Bob, sorry for the top-post. I had sent the first question via
web form, then subscribed after you had already replied.

I've had some luck with these instructions:

All of the perl errors are gone, but the dpkg upgrade still fails.
I may just try to upgrade to lenny if I can't get this resolved, but
being one step closer gives me hope!

# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
openssh-client openssh-server
avahi-daemon bind9-host cpio dbus debconf debconf-i18n dnsutils dpkg dselect
initramfs-tools initscripts libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data
libavahi-common3 libavahi-compat-howl0 libavahi-core4 libbind9-0 libc6
libcupsys2 libdbus-1-3 libdns22 libfreetype6 libgnutls13 libisc11 libisccc0
libisccfg1 libkrb53 liblwres9 libpcre3 libssl0.9.8 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2
libvorbisfile3 linux-image-2.6.18-6-ixp4xx locales mt-daapd mtr-tiny ntpdate
openssl perl perl-base perl-modules python2.4 python2.4-minimal reportbug
rsync samba samba-common samba-doc selinux-policy-refpolicy-targeted
smbclient smbfs swat sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils tzdata winbind
58 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/58.5MB of archives.
After unpacking 774kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?