Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 PM
"Vladimir Komendantsky"

Default kernel panic after Lenny update

Hi,

I'm sorry to tell you that today's package update cost me a system crash. The problem was with the package netatalk which was starting services at boot time. This resulted in a kernel panic. To repair this I booted the system in a single-user mode and removed netatalk and its few dependants.

Best regards,

Old 01-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:59:29 +0000
"Vladimir Komendantsky" <komendantsky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry to tell you that today's package update cost me a system crash.
> The problem was with the package netatalk which was starting services at
> boot time. This resulted in a kernel panic. To repair this I booted the
> system in a single-user mode and removed netatalk and its few dependants.
>
> Best regards,

Sorry to hear that happened. You might want to post using reportbug
utility included in debian about this.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:54:32PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:59:29 +0000
> "Vladimir Komendantsky" <komendantsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm sorry to tell you that today's package update cost me a system crash.
> > The problem was with the package netatalk which was starting services at
> > boot time. This resulted in a kernel panic. To repair this I booted the
> > system in a single-user mode and removed netatalk and its few dependants.
> >
> > Best regards,
>
> Sorry to hear that happened. You might want to post using reportbug
> utility included in debian about this.

Yes... then you can prevent others hitting it if othrs installed
apt-listbugs package.

See
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#safeguardforpackageproblems