Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Paul E Condon

Default Question about LVM and volume images on loop SOLVED

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 09:24:15AM -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Paul E Condon <pec@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> > I do this because I want to
> > store large files on a HD whose hardware interface
> > limits file sizes to 4Gb, and I want to store larger
> > files than 4Gb. ( The HD has 500Gb total capacity.)
>
> As the others have pointed out - that doesn't seem likely. A drive is
> just a bit bucket that doesn't grok it's own contents.

This is true, but it appears that the program, mount, does grok the
contents, and refuses to mount a drive unless it finds something that
it believes is sensible in the bits in that bucket. But see below:

> However, let's say for the sake of argument you don't want to have any
> files over 4 gig. Why not shrink the existing partition and create a
> series of 4 gig partitions, then use them for physical volumes in LVM.
> Much simpler than getting loop devices in there etc.

Last night I tried again to put an ext3 file system on the drive. This
was something that I had been unable to do almost a year ago and had
come to believe was impossible for various 'reasons'.

Last night I succeeded. So the whole basis for my question dissolved.

I don't know why I failed last year when I tried the obvious solution,
I don't think I will ever know. I'm really sorry for having exercised
so many people over my crazy question. I hope you thought it was an
interesting puzzle and enjoyed thinking about it, but, truth to tell,
I must have been doing something mistaken.

Thanks, all, for your help, and I hope I haven't worn out my welcome.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net