Old 01-14-2009, 03:28 PM

Default Nspluginwrapper small problem

I have yesterday just installed Etch(read not confident enough to go into Lenny) i386 netinstall on my laptop and the first thing I thought I would do is make flashplayer 10 work but it is actually my only remaining problem second to wireless. What is the exact target file to place the .so plugin and how do i invoke that from the terminal because it doesnt give me much allowance to do so the few times I have tried.

Also tried installing nspluginwrapper unsuccessfully I would appreciate a redirection to a reliable source anyone.

Apart from editing /etc/apt/sources.list is there any other place I could have change to make things rough for nspluginwrapper install. The flashplayer is ready and unpacked but I cant get around the wrapper.

Toshiba Satellite, 2.6.18.

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:40 PM
"Kumar Appaiah"

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:28 AM, wrote:
> I have yesterday just installed Etch(read not confident enough to go into
> Lenny) i386 netinstall on my laptop and the first thing I thought I would do
> is make flashplayer 10 work but it is actually my only remaining problem
> second to wireless. What is the exact target file to place the .so plugin
> and how do i invoke that from the terminal because it doesnt give me much
> allowance to do so the few times I have tried.

Download tha tarball containing Flash (.tgz)
tar zxf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins
cp install_flash_player_10_linux/libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins

You could also put it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

> Also tried installing nspluginwrapper unsuccessfully I would appreciate a
> redirection to a reliable source anyone.
> Apart from editing /etc/apt/sources.list is there any other place I could
> have change to make things rough for nspluginwrapper install. The
> flashplayer is ready and unpacked but I cant get around the wrapper.

I think nspluginwrapper is useful is you need to get the x86 Flash
plugin working on an amd64 machine. i386 installations should not need
nspluginwrapper.

HTH.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah

Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM
André Neves

I also think that the Original Poster won't need nspluginwrapper, but
for the record I'll just tell my tale here.

> I think nspluginwrapper is useful is you need to get the x86 Flash
> plugin working on an amd64 machine. i386 installations should not need
> nspluginwrapper.

I run amd64, and the vanilla Firefox + Flash 10 with nspluginwrapper
wasn't even showing up in aboutlugins. Running the plugin without
nspluginwrapper showed up in aboutlugins, but naturally crashed
Firefox once a Flash applet would run.

Tired of this complicated scenario involving wrapping plugins and
seeing Macromedia had released a 64-bit version of Flash 10, I just
pulled Firefox from svn and compiled my own 64-bit version (with
--enable-official-branding, 'cause I wanted the fox not the bomb
hehe).

It's working just fine now.

André

Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 PM

Still wunt come round it. I tried replacing firefox with iceweasel for
the second option but it wunt work still.
Uname -all gives Linux debian 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP i686 if it makes a
difference.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:24 AM

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/libflashplayer
[/lib/tls/i386/cmov/libc.so.6: version 'GLIB_2.4' not found (required
by /usr/lib/icewease;/plugins/libflasplayer.so)]

is the message I can see when I run iceweasel from the terminal.
I searched for GLIBC 2.4 in Synaptic and installed 2 objects there but
still my .so wunt work proper. Any other dependencies that synaptic
might not be showing or do i need to do anything to GTK from apt?

Thanks!