Old 01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Fernando Poza saura

Default VLC not displaying video output

Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

Just installed vlc 0.8.6h on lenny amd64 but there's no video output
when playing .avi video that works fine with totem-gstreamer. Already
tried alternating between different output modules in preferences >
video. Suggestion?

I've installed vlc 0.8.6a and almost everything goes OK. May be someone
expert in video formats could help, but, as far as I know, avi is kind
of video format container, i.e, you can have a number of differents
formats in each avi file.

So, probably what you need is the right video decoder.

Hope helps.
Fernando

Old 01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
"Umarzuki Mochlis"

Just installed vlc 0.8.6h on lenny amd64 but there's no video output
when playing .avi video that works fine with totem-gstreamer. Already
tried alternating between different output modules in preferences >
video. Suggestion?

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM
"thveillon.debian"

Umarzuki Mochlis wrote :
> Just installed vlc 0.8.6h on lenny amd64 but there's no video output
> when playing .avi video that works fine with totem-gstreamer. Already
> tried alternating between different output modules in preferences >
> video. Suggestion?

Hi, if you're using debian-multimedia, go to the website and read the
news dated 18/06/2008, it explains the origin of the problem with vlc.

I'm running Lenny AMD64 and I "solved" it by installing vlc from debian
experimental: works like a charm here.

Tom

Old 01-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Robert Walter

Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
"thveillon.debian"

Robert Walter wrote :
> thveillon.debian schrieb:
>> Hi, if you're using debian-multimedia, go to the website and read the
>> news dated 18/06/2008, it explains the origin of the problem with vlc.
>
>> I'm running Lenny AMD64 and I "solved" it by installing vlc from debian
>> experimental: works like a charm here.
>

> Could you please explain, exactly which way you did it?
>
>> Tom
>

> Robert

Sure, I added

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ experimental main

to the sources.list. For some packages in there you'll need Sid sources too.

experimental as a "policy priority" of "1", so they won't get installed
if you don't explicitly ask for it, so use:

aptitude install vlc/experimental

or

aptitude install -t experimental vlc package2 package3

To have your experimental installed packages updated to the latest
version, and only those installed (nothing will be pulled from
experimental automatically in your system), add to /etc/apt/preferences
(to be created if not already there):

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 101

and "aptitude full-upgrade" will pull the latest and greatest from
experimental for the already installed packages.

That's all I did, and I'm happily running a Debian Lenny/experimental
(and a few bit of Sid sometime for dependency purpose). It's also a good
idea to create a /etc/apt/apt.conf to specify your default archive:

APT:efault-Release "testing";

To check which packages you've pulled from experimental :

aptitude search '~S~i~Aexperimental'

You should get familiar with "package pinning" and "apt-cache policy" if
you want to mix sources on a regular basis...

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

chapter 3.8, and

http://wiki.debian.org/AptPinning

Tom

Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Robert Walter

Thank you very much for the exhausting explanation.

thveillon.debian schrieb:
> Robert Walter wrote :
>> Could you please explain, exactly which way you did it?
>
> Sure, I added
>
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ experimental main
>
> to the sources.list. For some packages in there you'll need Sid sources too.
>
> experimental as a "policy priority" of "1", so they won't get installed
> if you don't explicitly ask for it, so use:
>
> aptitude install vlc/experimental
>
> or
>
> aptitude install -t experimental vlc package2 package3
>
> To have your experimental installed packages updated to the latest
> version, and only those installed (nothing will be pulled from
> experimental automatically in your system), add to /etc/apt/preferences
> (to be created if not already there):
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 101
>
> and "aptitude full-upgrade" will pull the latest and greatest from
> experimental for the already installed packages.
>
> That's all I did, and I'm happily running a Debian Lenny/experimental
> (and a few bit of Sid sometime for dependency purpose). It's also a good
> idea to create a /etc/apt/apt.conf to specify your default archive:
>
> APT:efault-Release "testing";
>
> To check which packages you've pulled from experimental :
>
> aptitude search '~S~i~Aexperimental'
>

> You should get familiar with "package pinning" and "apt-cache policy" if
> you want to mix sources on a regular basis...
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
>
> chapter 3.8, and
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/AptPinning
>

> Tom

- --
> so what would I need to do to run amd64 ??

The urge to be cool.