Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Kent West

Default Two Samba Questions

I've got an Etch box running Samba and sharing out home directories. The
relevant section of smb.conf is this:

[global]
workgroup = ACU
invalid users = root
browseable = No
include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
invalid users = root, daemon, bin, sys, lp, smtp, uucp, nobody,
sync, games, man, mail, news, proxy, www-data, backup, list, irc, gnats

valid users = %S
read only = No
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775

I've had Macintosh users who have been connecting fine, but one recently
upgraded their Mac to Leopard (the most recent version of OS/X), and now
can no longer connect. I tested it on another Mac upgraded to Leopard
and see the same problem. We can connect with other samba utilities,
such as smbclient and smbutil.

After tinkering a bit, I've discovered that if I change the "browseable"
setting to "Yes", I can connect.

Question 1:
Does this indicate a bug in the way the new OS/X handles samba
connections, or did I have my smb.conf incorrectly configured to begin
with? (Shouldn't "browseable" simply mean you can't browse anonymously
to the share via the "Network Neighborhood"-type tools?)

Question 2:
As part of my testing, I ran "smbutil view //myserver" as well as
"smbclient -L //myserver" and gave the utils my username/password, and
both utilities reported a "homes" share as well as a "westk" share, both
pointing to "Home directories". Can I assume these are the same share,
and that the "westk" share is just an alias to the "homes" share defined
in the smb.conf file? If so, is there any official documentation where
this is actually stated - where it says specifically that you can
connect to a home share with the path "serverhomes" or with the path
"serverusername"?

Thanks!

--
Kent