Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Default reportbug / mail

Ron Johnson wrote:
> For quite a while, reportbug has had built-in smtp capabilities. Simply
> run this, and answer the prompts.
> $ reportbug --configure
>
> For example, here's what my config looks like:
>
> $ cat .reportbugrc | grep -v #
> reportbug_version "3.48"
> mode advanced
> ui text
> email "ron.l.johnson@cox.net"
> smtphost "smtp.east.cox.net"
Last time I tried this, it won't work with Gmail. Does is support TLS and
SMTP-AUTH?

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/13/09 09:07, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:
> For quite a while, reportbug has had built-in smtp capabilities. Simply

run this, and answer the prompts.
$ reportbug --configure

For example, here's what my config looks like:

$ cat .reportbugrc | grep -v #
reportbug_version "3.48"
mode advanced
ui text
email "ron.l.johnson@cox.net"
smtphost "smtp.east.cox.net"

Last time I tried this, it won't work with Gmail. Does is support TLS and
SMTP-AUTH?

It appears to. From the man page:

--tls If using SMTP, use Transport Layer Security (TLS)
encryption to secure the connection to the mail
server. Some SMTP servers may require this
option.

--smtpuser=USERNAME
If using SMTP, use the specified USERNAME for
authentication.

--smtppasswd=PASSWORD
If using SMTP, use the specified PASSWORD for
authentication. If the password isn't specified
on the command line or in the configuration file,
a prompt will be displayed asking for it.

Use of this option is insecure on multiuser sys-
tems. Instead, you should set this option in
.reportbugrc and ensure it is only readable by
your user (e.g. with chmod 600 $HOME/.reportbu-
grc).

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA