Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 AM
rjubio

Default DCHP Server Monitoring

Hi,

I am wondering how can I monitor the leases that my dhcp server is
giving to its clients. Thanks!

Maybe there is an existing software that I can use.
--ROD

Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Eric Gerlach

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 02:09:28PM +0800, rjubio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering how can I monitor the leases that my dhcp server is
> giving to its clients. Thanks!
> Maybe there is an existing software that I can use.

If your DHCP server is running Debian, then your DHCP server might write out
the leases to a file. For example, dnsmasq writes them out to
/var/misc/dhcp_leases (IIRC). Your best bet would be to check out the man-page
of the particular DHCP server you're using. Most man-pages have a "FILES"
section near the bottom which should describe where it is storing the leases.

If your DHCP server is running on your router, you'll have to look at the
router.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students

Old 01-14-2009, 07:07 PM
"Sven Hoexter"

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 02:09:28PM +0800, rjubio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering how can I monitor the leases that my dhcp server is
> giving to its clients. Thanks!
> Maybe there is an existing software that I can use.

Try Google. There are several CGI scripts around that generate html pages
from the ISC dhcpd lease files.

Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak