Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Celejar

Default Question about my Ethernet Cards

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:11:50 -0500
"Boxuan Gu" <boxuan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> I am using Debian lenny Linux Operating system.
>
> I am using the source code of linux kernel 2.6.26 (the patch level is
> 12) to build a kernel image
> Now, I am just using the source codes without my modification.
> However, After booting from this image, I find that my Ethernet card
> doesn't work.
> when I use "lspci", I can find that my ethernet card is:
>
> 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M
> Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
>
> I can't find my wired Ethernet card by using "ifconfig -a" . I don't know why.

Because the driver isn't loaded.

> I have checked my config file for Broadcom BCM5906M and I couldn't
> find the option to add this Ethernet card.

GIYF; you need the tg3 driver:

http://hardware4linux.info/component/28190/
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/faq_drivers.php#tg3

It's under Device Drivers/Network Device Support/Ethernet (1000
Mbit)/Broadcom Tigon3 Support

> Why the kernel image built by me doesn't support my wired Ethernet card ?

Because you're apparently not building the module.

> The attached please find my config for building kernel. Thank you very much!

Nothing is attached.

Celejar

Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 2009 January 12 16:11:50 Boxuan Gu wrote:
>In addition, my wireless Ethernet card doesn't work too.. My wireless card
> is Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev
> 02).
>
>However, when I use the kernel image built by debian (Linux version
>2.6.26-1-686 (Debian 2.6.26-12) (waldi@debian.org) (gcc version 4.1.3
>20080704 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-24)) #1 SMP Mon Dec 1
>5 18:15:07 UTC 2008,)
>I find that everything is ok except my wireless card.

You need the firmware. It was removed from the Debian kernel (during Etch)
and added to the "non-free" section since so source is provided for it. I
believe the name of the package is iwl3945-firmware.

>Why the kernel image built by me doesn't support my wired Ethernet card ?

Probably didn't choose the right option under "make menuconfig". Or, didn't
install the modules correctly--"make modules_install".
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Celejar

[Putting this back on the list. Please reply to the list and don't cc.
me, as per the code of conduct.]

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:06:17 -0500
"Boxuan Gu" <boxuan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Celejar,
>
> Thank you for your email to me. I will try what you told me. The attached
> please find my config

Good luck!

Celejar

Old 01-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Celejar

[Back on list.]

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:27:05 -0500
"Boxuan Gu" <boxuan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Under Device Drivers/Network Device Support/Ethernet (1000
> Mbit)/, I can't find Broadcom Tigon3 Support. Is there another name for
> tg3?
> Thank you very much!

I'm currently using a non-Debian kernel tree; I don't know if it's in
the standard Debian one. There's some kind of firmware issue:

I don't know if Debian leaves it in, but I'd assume that they do.
Perhaps someone can check?

Celejar

Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 12 January 2009, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote about 'Re:
Question about my Ethernet Cards':
>"Boxuan Gu" <boxuan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Under Device Drivers/Network Device Support/Ethernet (1000
>> Mbit)/, I can't find Broadcom Tigon3 Support. Is there another name
>> for tg3?
>> Thank you very much!
>
>I'm currently using a non-Debian kernel tree; I don't know if it's in
>the standard Debian one. There's some kind of firmware issue:
>
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=446028
>
>I don't know if Debian leaves it in, but I'd assume that they do.
>Perhaps someone can check?

I have non-free (Etch, Backports, Security, Volatile, Lenny, Sid, and
Experimental) available here, and I don't see anything related to the tg3
firmware. It's possible that it was removed and not replaced, but that's
not normal.

There is one firmware for the Broadcom NetXteremeII, but I don't think
that's your card:
p firmware-bnx2 - Binary firmware for Broadcom
NetXtremeII

Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 AM
"Boxuan Gu"

Thanks.

If the tg3 were replaced, the kernel image 2.6.26 built by debian wouldn't
support Broadcom BC59XXX. However, the image from debian support it. I think
I use the same source code to build my kernel image. I use "apt-get source
linux-2.26" to get the source code which was used to build the kernel image
2.6.26-686-1 by debian. I don't know why I can't build a kernel image
supporting tg3 by using the same source codes.

Boxuan Gu