Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Kushal Koolwal

Default Total Packages in Sid?

Hi,

I just got curious and I decided to count the total number of packages (across all architectures and all branch - main, contrib, non-free) in the current Sid branch.

Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded the file:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/allpackages?format=txt.gz

2. and then give the command:
wc -l allpackages.txt
30454

3. Subtract 6 (because of the header in the beginning) from the total that you get.

So is it correct to say that Debian Sid has around 30448 (roughly) packages?

I would like to know if this method is correct or not/

Thanks

Kushal Koolwal

Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Kumar Appaiah

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 01:49:03PM -0800, Kushal Koolwal wrote:
> I just got curious and I decided to count the total number of
> packages (across all architectures and all branch - main, contrib,
> non-free) in the current Sid branch.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> 1. Downloaded the file:
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/allpackages?format=txt.gz
>

> 2. and then give the command:
> wc -l allpackages.txt
> 30454
>
> 3. Subtract 6 (because of the header in the beginning) from the total that you get.
>
> So is it correct to say that Debian Sid has around 30448 (roughly) packages?

I wouldn't quite say that. It is difficult to put it that way, because
several (most?) source packages produce several binary packages. For
example, the source package libitpp produces binary packages
libitpp-dev, libitpp6gf, libitpp6-dbg and libitpp-doc, all of which
are being recounted. You would also recount multiple versions of
several packages, like libraries (libnet0, libnet1 along with their
*-dev packages). You also count several Debian native packages; while
some of them (like ikiwiki) are generic, others (like dpkg) are Debian
(derivative) specific. You have counted 67 packages which begin with
iceweasel-l10n-. There are several such cases you have to look out for
and decide whether to include in your search or not.

As far as I can see, there isn't any unambiguous way by which you can
arrive at an exact number, though you can estimate it if you account
for the things I mention (and other problems).

HTH.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah

Old 01-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Kumar Appaiah

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 07:14:08PM -0600, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> I wouldn't quite say that. It is difficult to put it that way, because
> several (most?) source packages produce several binary packages. For
> example, the source package libitpp produces binary packages
> libitpp-dev, libitpp6gf, libitpp6-dbg and libitpp-doc, all of which
> are being recounted. You would also recount multiple versions of
> several packages, like libraries (libnet0, libnet1 along with their
> *-dev packages). You also count several Debian native packages; while
> some of them (like ikiwiki) are generic, others (like dpkg) are Debian
> (derivative) specific. You have counted 67 packages which begin with
> iceweasel-l10n-. There are several such cases you have to look out for
> and decide whether to include in your search or not.
>
> As far as I can see, there isn't any unambiguous way by which you can
> arrive at an exact number, though you can estimate it if you account
> for the things I mention (and other problems).

Here is set of numbers made available by FTP Master Joerg Jaspert in
each flavour (experimental, stable, testing, proposed-updates etc.)

http://ftp-master.debian.org/~joerg/pkg-nums

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah