Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 PM
"thveillon.debian"

Default Celestia, Kstars, Etc.

Nyizsnyik Ferenc a écrit :
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:47:22 +0200
> David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
>
>> Just bought my daughter a telescope. It came a "cybersky" program
>> which would not install using wine. Of course, there are native Linux
>> programs around, Celestia and Kstars.
>>
>> Kstars is simple soooo slooooow as to be unusable. Celestia, on the
>> other hand, performs quite well, even with my "legacy" Nvidia card.
>> Only problem is that most of the planet images are blank, simply a
>> light disk. Must be missing something. Where do get the data?
>> Installed off Sid.
>>

> The source code contains the images. After download, just copy the
> content of directory 'textures' to /usr/share/celestia/textures.
> It was working in Etch out-of-the-box, though. I did the same after
> upgrade. I haven't checked the bug reports since then.

Hi, just in case you don't know it already, official add-ons are to be
found on http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

A lot of stuff is also available through celestia forum, but anything
not the above repository shouldn't be considered stable/safe.

Tom

Old 01-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Graham

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:47:22 +0200
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> Just bought my daughter a telescope. It came a "cybersky" program
> which would not install using wine. Of course, there are native Linux
> programs around, Celestia and Kstars.
>
> Kstars is simple soooo slooooow as to be unusable. Celestia, on the
> other hand, performs quite well, even with my "legacy" Nvidia card.
> Only problem is that most of the planet images are blank, simply a
> light disk. Must be missing something. Where do get the data?
> Installed off Sid.

Ever tried Stellarium (http://www.stellarium.org/)? You can find it in
the repositories. Well worth downloading if you're into astronomy.

Graham

Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Ron Johnson