Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Chris

Default Question: Power Button Shutdown

Hi,

I found a description on how to to shut down my system after pushing the power
button (below). I need this for a headless system. The system is running
Debian-Lenny, and it used to work before a dist-upgrade quite a while back.
I only found out it was working by accident, because it does not seem to work
on other Debian machines I have.

I was just wondering if this is set up normally on a Debian install, and if
yes what may have stopped it from working. If all else fails I'll try the
method described below, but I'd rather just fix what was working before.

Chris

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Shutting_system_down_by_pressing_the_power_button

Shutting system down by pressing the power button
From ArchWiki

If you want to shutdown your system by simply pressing the power button, do
the following:

1. Install the acpid package.
2. If there is no hal in the DAEMONS array in rc.conf, add acpid to the
DAEMONS array.
3. Create a file in /etc/acpi/events/ named power with following content:

# /etc/acpi/events/power
# This is called when the user presses the power button

event=button/power (PWR.||PBTN)
action=/sbin/poweroff

To be able to test it, start the acpid daemon:

# /etc/rc.d/acpid start

From now on, pressing the power button (lightly, not for a few seconds) should
properly shutdown the system. Note that if you have hibernate configured and
working you may want to change the last line with:

action=/usr/sbin/hibernate

However, if you're using more sophisticated WM, you should use its own
shutdown call, so it'd save its session etc.

To accomplish it in KDE 3, simply change the action to:

action=/opt/kde/bin/dcop --all-users --all-sessions ksmserver ksmserver logout
0 2 0

--
C. Hurschler

Old 01-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Ron Johnson

I found a description on how to to shut down my system after pushing the power
button (below). I need this for a headless system. The system is running
Debian-Lenny, and it used to work before a dist-upgrade quite a while back.
I only found out it was working by accident, because it does not seem to work
on other Debian machines I have.

I was just wondering if this is set up normally on a Debian install, and if
yes what may have stopped it from working. If all else fails I'll try the
method described below, but I'd rather just fix what was working before.

Chris

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Shutting_system_down_by_pressing_the_power_button

[snip]

From now on, pressing the power button (lightly, not for a few seconds) should
properly shutdown the system. Note that if you have hibernate configured and
working you may want to change the last line with:

What is your BIOS power button configuration? (Mine is "immediate
shutdown", probably because I think that Power means *power*, not
*hibernate*.)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Chris

On Monday 12 January 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/12/09 13:45, Chris wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found a description on how to to shut down my system after pushing the
> > power button (below). I need this for a headless system. The system is
> > running Debian-Lenny, and it used to work before a dist-upgrade quite a
> > while back. I only found out it was working by accident, because it does
> > not seem to work on other Debian machines I have.
> >
> > I was just wondering if this is set up normally on a Debian install, and
> > if yes what may have stopped it from working. If all else fails I'll try
> > the method described below, but I'd rather just fix what was working
> > before.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Shutting_system_down_by_pressing_the_
> >power_button
>
> [snip]
>
> > From now on, pressing the power button (lightly, not for a few seconds)
> > should properly shutdown the system. Note that if you have hibernate
> > configured and working you may want to change the last line with:
>
> What is your BIOS power button configuration? (Mine is "immediate
> shutdown", probably because I think that Power means *power*, not
> *hibernate*.)

Honestly I don't know and it would be too much trouble to find out - the
system is headless and I can't look a the BIOS settings. I never have
changed anything in the BIOS settings on this computer though, so I'm not
sure that can explain it not working any more.

When I push the power button it does end up showing the KDE log-off dialog
with the normal options though - maybe something changed in KDE.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

C. Hurschler

Old 01-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Michael Biebl

Chris wrote:

> When I push the power button it does end up showing the KDE log-off dialog
> with the normal options though - maybe something changed in KDE.

In case you are using kpowersave, you can change this behaviour quite easily:
right click on the kpowersave systray icon, choose "Configure KPowersave",
on the "General Settings" tab under "Button Events", configure it to your liking.

HTH,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:47 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Monday 12 January 2009 22:45:24 Chris wrote:
> On Monday 12 January 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 01/12/09 13:45, Chris wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I found a description on how to to shut down my system after pushing
> > > the power button (below). I need this for a headless system. The
> > > system is running Debian-Lenny, and it used to work before a
> > > dist-upgrade quite a while back. I only found out it was working by
> > > accident, because it does not seem to work on other Debian machines I
> > > have.
> > >
> > > I was just wondering if this is set up normally on a Debian install,
> > > and if yes what may have stopped it from working. If all else fails
> > > I'll try the method described below, but I'd rather just fix what was
> > > working before.
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >
> > > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Shutting_system_down_by_pressing_th
> > >e_ power_button
> >
> > [snip]
> >

> Honestly I don't know and it would be too much trouble to find out - the
> system is headless and I can't look a the BIOS settings. I never have
> changed anything in the BIOS settings on this computer though, so I'm not
> sure that can explain it not working any more.

headless is OK but.....
> When I push the power button it does end up showing the KDE log-off dialog
> with the normal options though - maybe something changed in KDE.

How do you see Kde log-off dialog then?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Chris

On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Monday 12 January 2009 22:45:24 Chris wrote:

> > > [snip]
> >
> > Honestly I don't know and it would be too much trouble to find out - the
> > system is headless and I can't look a the BIOS settings. I never have
> > changed anything in the BIOS settings on this computer though, so I'm not
> > sure that can explain it not working any more.
>
> headless is OK but.....
>
> > When I push the power button it does end up showing the KDE log-off
> > dialog with the normal options though - maybe something changed in KDE.
>
> How do you see Kde log-off dialog then?

It boots into a user account starts x11vnc, which I access using krdc. I
mostly turn the system off over krdc, but I can also access it via ssh and
turn it off. I want to be able to turn it off without having to start
another computer. It's basically a music player for my kitchen, it runs
amarok which also starts automatically.

C. Hurschler

Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Chris

On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > When I push the power button it does end up showing the KDE log-off
> > dialog with the normal options though - maybe something changed in KDE.
>
> In case you are using kpowersave, you can change this behaviour quite
> easily: right click on the kpowersave systray icon, choose "Configure
> KPowersave", on the "General Settings" tab under "Button Events", configure
> it to your liking.
>
> HTH,
> Michael

sounded promising, but strangeley didn't help.

C. Hurschler

Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 2009 January 13 13:13:43 Chris wrote:
>On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> Chris wrote:
>> > When I push the power button it does end up showing the KDE log-off
>> > dialog with the normal options though - maybe something changed in KDE.
>>
>> In case you are using kpowersave, you can change this behaviour quite
>> easily: right click on the kpowersave systray icon, choose "Configure
>> KPowersave", on the "General Settings" tab under "Button Events",
>> configure it to your liking.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Michael
>
>sounded promising, but strangeley didn't help.

You may be running into a variant of a problem I had. I sometimes want to
step away from the laptop for a moment and close the lid without it going
into suspend. No matter how I had configured kpowersave, the laptop kept
suspending.

Turns out, powerdevil from KDE 4 was putting the system into suspend.
Changing the "When Laptop Lid Closed" behavior in powerdevil to "Lock Screen"
solved my problem.

You should be able to configure powerdevil through "Configure Desktop
(Personal Settings/KDE4)"[1], Advanced Tab, "Power Management". The setting
you want is probably under "Edit Profiles", (pick each profile in
turn), "When Power Button pressed".
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

[1] /usr/bin/systemsettings from the command-line