Old 01-12-2009, 05:47 PM
David Baron

Default Celestia, Kstars, Etc.

Just bought my daughter a telescope. It came a "cybersky" program which would
not install using wine. Of course, there are native Linux programs around,
Celestia and Kstars.

Kstars is simple soooo slooooow as to be unusable. Celestia, on the other
hand, performs quite well, even with my "legacy" Nvidia card. Only problem is
that most of the planet images are blank, simply a light disk. Must be missing
something. Where do get the data? Installed off Sid.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Daryl Styrk

David Baron wrote:
> Just bought my daughter a telescope. It came a "cybersky" program which would
> not install using wine. Of course, there are native Linux programs around,
> Celestia and Kstars.
>
> Kstars is simple soooo slooooow as to be unusable. Celestia, on the other
> hand, performs quite well, even with my "legacy" Nvidia card. Only problem is
> that most of the planet images are blank, simply a light disk. Must be missing
> something. Where do get the data? Installed off Sid.

I've used kstars, I didn't find it slow at all.. What exactly was slow
about it?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Ron Johnson

Just bought my daughter a telescope. It came a "cybersky" program which would
not install using wine. Of course, there are native Linux programs around,
Celestia and Kstars.

Kstars is simple soooo slooooow as to be unusable. Celestia, on the other
hand, performs quite well, even with my "legacy" Nvidia card. Only problem is
that most of the planet images are blank, simply a light disk. Must be missing
something. Where do get the data? Installed off Sid.

I've used kstars, I didn't find it slow at all.. What exactly was slow
about it?

Maybe he needs more RAM?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Daryl Styrk

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/12/09 13:34, Daryl Styrk wrote:
>> David Baron wrote:
>>> Just bought my daughter a telescope. It came a "cybersky" program
>>> which would not install using wine. Of course, there are native Linux
>>> programs around, Celestia and Kstars.
>>>
>>> Kstars is simple soooo slooooow as to be unusable. Celestia, on the
>>> other hand, performs quite well, even with my "legacy" Nvidia card.
>>> Only problem is that most of the planet images are blank, simply a
>>> light disk. Must be missing something. Where do get the data?
>>> Installed off Sid.
>>>

>> I've used kstars, I didn't find it slow at all.. What exactly was slow
>> about it?
>
> Maybe he needs more RAM?

I should add I haven't tried with a telescope interfaced with it. Maybe
that's the slow end..

Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Nyizsnyik Ferenc

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:47:22 +0200
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> Just bought my daughter a telescope. It came a "cybersky" program
> which would not install using wine. Of course, there are native Linux
> programs around, Celestia and Kstars.
>
> Kstars is simple soooo slooooow as to be unusable. Celestia, on the
> other hand, performs quite well, even with my "legacy" Nvidia card.
> Only problem is that most of the planet images are blank, simply a
> light disk. Must be missing something. Where do get the data?
> Installed off Sid.

The source code contains the images. After download, just copy the
content of directory 'textures' to /usr/share/celestia/textures.
It was working in Etch out-of-the-box, though. I did the same after
upgrade. I haven't checked the bug reports since then.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc