Old 01-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Ron Johnson

Default Labeling backup DVD+RW's

On 01/11/09 19:24, Richard Hector wrote:

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 20:03 -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:29:54PM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:

I'd be tempted to just write on something that never needs erasing -
either a name that makes sense in a repeating cycle (eg 'Monday',
'Tuesday' etc) or just an index number, and keep a separate record of
which disk you need for which date. Otherwise you increase the risk of
damaging the disk.

What, no barcode reader in a burner?

I'm not very good at writing barcodes :-)

And I have nothing that will print on a CD/DVD. And I don't like the
idea of putting sticky labels on a disk that spins that fast.

See if Lightscribe works for you.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Richard Hector

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 19:49 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/11/09 19:24, Richard Hector wrote:

> >> What, no barcode reader in a burner?
> >
> > I'm not very good at writing barcodes :-)
> >
> > And I have nothing that will print on a CD/DVD. And I don't like the
> > idea of putting sticky labels on a disk that spins that fast.
>
> See if Lightscribe works for you.

[note that I'm not actually in need of a solution at this time]

My (laptop) burner claims to do lightscribe - but it needs special
(expensive?) disks, doesn't it? And produces labels that the drive still
can't read?

I'm not actually sure where this thread is going any more though :-)

Richard

Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Chris Jones

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:59:39PM EST, Richard Hector wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 19:49 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > I'm not very good at writing barcodes :-)
> > >
> > > And I have nothing that will print on a CD/DVD. And I don't like the
> > > idea of putting sticky labels on a disk that spins that fast.

Me neither .. sounds like asking for trouble.

> > See if Lightscribe works for you.
>
> [note that I'm not actually in need of a solution at this time]
>
> My (laptop) burner claims to do lightscribe - but it needs special
> (expensive?) disks, doesn't it? And produces labels that the drive still
> can't read?

I'm pretty sure mine isn't .. but I have no evidence to the contrary either.

I've heard lightscribe burning takes for ever..

> I'm not actually sure where this thread is going any more though :-)

:-)

Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Sun January 11 2009, Chris Jones wrote:
> > My (laptop) burner claims to do lightscribe - but it needs special
> > (expensive?) disks, doesn't it? And produces labels that the drive still
> > can't read?
>
> I'm pretty sure mine isn't .. but I have no evidence to the contrary
> either.
>
> I've heard lightscribe burning takes for ever..
>
> > I'm not actually sure where this thread is going any more though :-)
> >
> :-)

just keep it going so it will be longer than my K3B thread:-0)

I did buy a new Epson printer that will print on Cds/DVDs but I don't have any
of the CDs that can be printed on.. I did have a stack, but I used them all
and wrote on them with sharpie..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Mike McCarty

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

Chris Jones wrote:

Is there an altogether better/smarter/reliabl-er solution?

IMHO, the smartest, fastest, most reliable and cheapest solution is to
use external hard disks like usb-disks. You could reuse the same disk
for more or less unlimited rw-cycles for an average lifetime of at least
around 3 years (probably much longer, since it is not in permanent use).
By the time it dies it has quite certain been much cheaper and
environment friendly than all those dvd-rws plus the burner. Current
hard disks have capacities of more than hundreds of DVD's.

This is also much more expensive, if one is doing real backups.
A real backup (as opposed to simply a second copy nearby) is
stored off site. So, one would need to rotate external discs
for this to be a viable backup means. Usually one uses at
least three copies, so one would need three external drives
which one rotated.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Mike McCarty

Paul Cartwright wrote:
I would agree.. I use a $100 500Gb Mybook external as 1-part of my backup
scheme. I use rsync and back up my desktop AND my laptop to the external HD.
easy to specify folders and use a file for exceptions.

IMO, this is an inadequate strategy. Backup media need to be
stored off-site. Certainly, your external drive needs to remain
unplugged from the power and the computer, at least, for
most of the time. Otherwise the same lightning strike which
takes out your main disc could also clobber your "backup".

Mike

Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Mike McCarty

H.S. wrote:

Currently, I backup my /home to a partition on a second hard disk in my
desktop. The photos are mounted on a different desktop in a partition on
a hard disk which is shared via samba so that anyone on my home lan can
view them. That partition is backed up on to an external USB hard disk
connected to the desktop's USB port.

So, if you have a lightning strike, all copies are at risk?

Mike

Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Richard Hector

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 15:05 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > I would agree.. I use a $100 500Gb Mybook external as 1-part of my backup
> > scheme. I use rsync and back up my desktop AND my laptop to the external HD.
> > easy to specify folders and use a file for exceptions.
>
> IMO, this is an inadequate strategy. Backup media need to be
> stored off-site. Certainly, your external drive needs to remain
> unplugged from the power and the computer, at least, for
> most of the time. Otherwise the same lightning strike which
> takes out your main disc could also clobber your "backup".

That's obviously true in an ideal sense. But even the local external
disk (or even internal disk) is vastly superior to having none at
all ...

Richard

Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Mike McCarty

Richard Hector wrote:

I would agree.. I use a $100 500Gb Mybook external as 1-part of my backup
scheme. I use rsync and back up my desktop AND my laptop to the external HD.
easy to specify folders and use a file for exceptions.

IMO, this is an inadequate strategy. Backup media need to be
stored off-site. Certainly, your external drive needs to remain
unplugged from the power and the computer, at least, for
most of the time. Otherwise the same lightning strike which
takes out your main disc could also clobber your "backup".

That's obviously true in an ideal sense. But even the local external
disk (or even internal disk) is vastly superior to having none at
all ...

It's just true in all senses.

I don't disagree that having a second copy is better than none.
However, using a second copy directly connected to the main
machine on the same site does not satisfy my definition of "backup".

As in all things, everyone has his own criteria. Also, there is
always the trade off between security and cost. However, my
minimal criteria are

(1) Off site storage; if my house burns down, then my data are
still safe (my backup is 13 miles from my house, so an atom bomb
will probably destroy all copies)

(2) Non volatile storage

(3) At least three copies rotated

(4) Verified (once) by rebuilding the system from scratch using wiped
hardware.

Any alternate storage scheme has to be evaluated based on one's
own criteria. I'm merely trying to get people to think about
what their criteria really are. If a lightning strike wiping
out all copies of your data is acceptable to you, then I'm not
going to argue or criticize.

For me, monthly backup to DVDs with weekly incrementals to CDs
with off site storage works, and is cheap both in time and
money. I keep the most recent copy on my hard drive (in case
of accidental erasure) as well as off site.

Which reminds me, it's time for my monthly :-)

Mike

Old 01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Ron Johnson