Old 01-11-2009, 06:32 PM
tanushyam bhattacharjee

Default Dell E5500 notebook and Debian support

Hi All,

I am going to purchase a dell E5500 notebook and Debian Linux will be used as OS.I am interested to know whether latest Debian kernel supports the wireless and graphics of this model or not.
tanushyam

Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 01:02:12 +0530 (IST)
tanushyam bhattacharjee <gettanu@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am going to purchase a dell E5500 notebook and Debian Linux will be used as OS.I am interested to know whether latest Debian kernel supports the wireless and graphics of this model or not.
> tanushyam

Check out http://linux-wless.passys.nl/index.php for wireless support.

For graphics card:

Intel - quite good driver support.
ATI - open source drivers are there for 2D. 3D is almost there for
most chipsets
Nvidia - you will have to use proprietary drivers from them.

Good luck.
Amit

Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:13:54PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> For graphics card:
>
> Intel - quite good driver support.
> ATI - open source drivers are there for 2D. 3D is almost there for
> most chipsets
> Nvidia - you will have to use proprietary drivers from them.

Not true. You can use the free nv driver which is suitable for most
tasks.

--
Chris.
======

Old 01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Ron Johnson

ATI - open source drivers are there for 2D. 3D is almost there for
most chipsets
Nvidia - you will have to use proprietary drivers from them.

Not true. You can use the free nv driver which is suitable for most
tasks.

Except that nvidia uses significantly less CPU resources.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA