Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 PM
"Dean Chester"

Default Speeding up Debian Boot

Hi
Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that Vista boots up quicker than debian.
Dean

Old 01-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Pavlos Parissis

Old 01-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/11/09 11:49, Dean Chester wrote:

Hi
Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
Vista boots up quicker than debian.

If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
matter whether boot times are slow?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
JoeHill

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 01/11/09 11:49, Dean Chester wrote:
> > Hi
> > Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
> > Vista boots up quicker than debian.
>
> If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
> matter whether boot times are slow?

maybe if it's a laptop

Old 01-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Ron Johnson

Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
Vista boots up quicker than debian.
If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
matter whether boot times are slow?

maybe if it's a laptop

Laps are for girls, not computers. (Is that ragingly sexist?)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Celejar

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:17:57 -0500
JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > On 01/11/09 11:49, Dean Chester wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
> > > Vista boots up quicker than debian.
> >
> > If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
> > matter whether boot times are slow?
>
> maybe if it's a laptop

Suspend to disk; once you begin using it, you won't be able to do
without it.

Celejar

Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 PM
JoeHill

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 01/11/09 16:17, JoeHill wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:

> >> If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
> >> matter whether boot times are slow?
> >
> > maybe if it's a laptop
>
> Laps are for girls, not computers.

Desks can be for girls too, depends on who you work with.

> (Is that ragingly sexist?)

If it is, I'm in real trouble now.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 PM
JoeHill

Celejar wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:17:57 -0500
> JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>
> > Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
> > > matter whether boot times are slow?
> >
> > maybe if it's a laptop
>
> Suspend to disk; once you begin using it, you won't be able to do
> without it.

How long does that last? Could you suspend to disk while you're commuting for,
say, an hour or more?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 06:42:37PM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
> Celejar wrote:

> > Suspend to disk; once you begin using it, you won't be able to do
> > without it.
>
> How long does that last? Could you suspend to disk while you're commuting for,
> say, an hour or more?

Suspend to ram: much faster, but time-limited (memory runs on the battery.

Suspend to disk: slowwer, but unlimited in time.

$ uptime
01:51:08 up 130 days, 3:35, 4 users, load average: 1.28, 1.21, 1.14

That's after countless of s2disk :-)

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend