Old 01-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Bob Cox

Default Lightweight alternative to imagemagick?

I want to resize jpeg images (in order to create thumbnail images for a
webpage) from a bash script and know that I can use 'convert' from the
imagemagick package to achieve this. This will be run on a (headless,
no X) lenny/armel NSLU2 "slug".

However, aptitude says that to install imagemagick requires 78 new
packages, including x11-common, various gtk and font libraries - which
will be irrelevant on the NSLU2. Using the without-recommends switch in
aptitude reduces the package count to 63 and choosing the
'graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat' package rather than imagemagick
brings it down to "only" 52 packages. This still seems quite a lot and
includes lots of font stuff and x11-common when all I want is the
'convert' command.

Does anyone know of a simpler, slimmer alternative for resizing jpegs
from the command line please?

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Sun January 11 2009, Bob Cox wrote:
> I want to resize jpeg images (in order to create thumbnail images for a
> webpage) from a bash script and know that I can use 'convert' from the
> imagemagick package to achieve this. *This will be run on a (headless,
> no X) lenny/armel NSLU2 "slug".

GIMP ships with a second binary called gimp-console. This binary is a
console-only version and behaves as if gimp was called with the
--no-interface command-line option.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Kumar Appaiah

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 07:40:37AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > I want to resize jpeg images (in order to create thumbnail images for a
> > webpage) from a bash script and know that I can use 'convert' from the
> > imagemagick package to achieve this. *This will be run on a (headless,
> > no X) lenny/armel NSLU2 "slug".
>
> GIMP ships with a second binary called gimp-console. This binary is a
> console-only version and behaves as if gimp was called with the
> --no-interface command-line option.

I think you refer to gimp-console. Does it solve the OPs problem of
Imagemagick being too heavy? I suspect that installing Gimp will also
pull in several X and GTK+ based dependencies which offer little value
on a Slug...

As for other options, I cannot think of any myself. However, I suspect
that while Imagemagick convert will stress your SLUG a little, it
might still do the job for you as long as you don't run much else on
the Slug...

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah

Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Bob Cox

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:41:55 -0600, Kumar Appaiah (a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in) wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 07:40:37AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > > I want to resize jpeg images (in order to create thumbnail images for a
> > > webpage) from a bash script and know that I can use 'convert' from the
> > > imagemagick package to achieve this. *This will be run on a (headless,
> > > no X) lenny/armel NSLU2 "slug".
> >
> > GIMP ships with a second binary called gimp-console. This binary is a
> > console-only version and behaves as if gimp was called with the
> > --no-interface command-line option.
>
> I think you refer to gimp-console. Does it solve the OPs problem of
> Imagemagick being too heavy? I suspect that installing Gimp will also
> pull in several X and GTK+ based dependencies which offer little value
> on a Slug...

Thank you for the suggestion Paul, but you are right Kumar: Gimp wanted to
pull in nearly 70 packages totalling 107MB.

> As for other options, I cannot think of any myself. However, I suspect
> that while Imagemagick convert will stress your SLUG a little, it
> might still do the job for you as long as you don't run much else on
> the Slug...

As it happens I have gone ahead and installed imagemagick and it works
fine. I just wanted to avoid installing what seems like unnecessary
packages. They won't actually be doing anything and I am not short of
disk space, so really it does not matter at all I suppose.

The slug is kept busy running motion (movement detecting with a webcam)
and saving the resulting images. Using convert from imagemagick to
reduce these images for viewing on a webpage will only add a bit more
stress ;-)

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
André Berger

* Bob Cox (2009-01-11):
> I want to resize jpeg images (in order to create thumbnail images for a
> webpage) from a bash script and know that I can use 'convert' from the
> imagemagick package to achieve this. This will be run on a (headless,
> no X) lenny/armel NSLU2 "slug".
>
> However, aptitude says that to install imagemagick requires 78 new
> packages, including x11-common, various gtk and font libraries - which
> will be irrelevant on the NSLU2. Using the without-recommends switch in
> aptitude reduces the package count to 63 and choosing the
> 'graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat' package rather than imagemagick
> brings it down to "only" 52 packages. This still seems quite a lot and
> includes lots of font stuff and x11-common when all I want is the
> 'convert' command.
>
> Does anyone know of a simpler, slimmer alternative for resizing jpegs
> from the command line please?

It all depends on your needs.

djpeg (from libjpeg-progs) Currently the scale factor must be 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8.

If you're looking for photo gallery,

Super basic:

<http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Photo_Gallery_with_igal_-_online_image_gallery_generator>

Good for offline creation:

<http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Photo_Gallery_with_igal_-_online_image_gallery_generator#Others_.28PPC_only .29>

-André

--
May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!
.