Old 01-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Mitchell Laks

Default AMD Turion ZM82: freeze with 2 cores, works with 1 core (maxcpus=1)

On 07:46 Sun 11 Jan , Adrian Levi wrote:
> 2009/1/11 Patrick Schueller <pschuel@web.de>:
>
> > Sorry for the late answer, I didn't see your reply for some reason :-(
> >
> > I compiled and installed the stable vanilla 2.6.28 kernel from kernel.org,
> > as you suggested. Since I am not very accustomed with the kernel's compiling
> > options, I used the old kernel's .config file.
> >
> > The problem stays the same with the new kernel. Normal boot --> freeze, boot
> > with maxcpus=1 --> works, uname-a shows new kernel. Seems to be a general
> > problem with this CPU. Or does anyone happen to have another idea for a
> > solution?

> > Patrick
>
> I'm out of ideas, My next suggestion is to contact LKML and see if
> they have any ideas.
>
> Adrian
>
> --
> 24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
> <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to
> ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my
> apartment it is.

I would try to explore the idea that the CPU or motherboard is defective. Perhaps the second core is bad.

I had a problem with memory sticks that was similar. One stick worked and not two. I first found that
there was a bad memory stick ( 1 out of 2). then after replacing it, it happened again and it needed a
bios upgrade of the motherboard to work. I used memtest96+ to diagnose my problems.

Perhaps you can find a testing software for the dual core cpu from your cpu or motherboard vendor....

Mitchell

Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Mitchell Laks

On 11:28 Sun 11 Jan , Adrian Levi wrote:
> 2009/1/11 Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu>:
>

> > I would try to explore the idea that the CPU or motherboard is defective. Perhaps the second core is bad.
> >
> > I had a problem with memory sticks that was similar. One stick worked and not two. I first found that
> > there was a bad memory stick ( 1 out of 2). then after replacing it, it happened again and it needed a
> > bios upgrade of the motherboard to work. I used memtest96+ to diagnose my problems.
> >
> > Perhaps you can find a testing software for the dual core cpu from your cpu or motherboard vendor....
> >
> > Mitchell
>
> UBCD has numerous cpu testing programs on it, perhaps one of those?
>
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
>
> Adrian

I have reconsidered the issue.

I would approach your problem in a systematic way. You have some data.

CPU seems to lock up with dual core set up. You find it with Debian install, but not with Windows. Bah I don't believe that.
Check using live CD: knoppix or finnix or some other ones. After booting try some tests.

Make sure to do Mem86+ test for the ram and make sure your ram is good. Very often RAM is bad and can be confusing.
you need to systematically test this stuff.

Look at this Great Article:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw1/
Linux hardware stability guide, Part 1
CPU and memory troubleshooting
Daniel Robbins (drobbins@gentoo.org), President/CEO, Gentoo Technologies, Inc.

Good luck,

Mitchell

Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Patrick Schueller

Mitchell Laks schrieb:

[...]

Yes it' s true, Windows runs on this machine with 2 cores without any
lockups or bluescreens, but it's slower nevertheless ;-)
BTW, ASUS hardware seems to be a bit strange anyway. They even built a
limited Linux into the BIOS for faster startup (for surfing the net and
such), but they didn't even manage to run it at the LCD's native
resolution (which Debian does out of the box). If they have a console
there I could look whether it recognizes the second core.
Check using live CD: knoppix or finnix or some other ones. After
booting try some tests.

Make sure to do Mem86+ test for the ram and make sure your ram is
good. Very often RAM is bad and can be confusing.

you need to systematically test this stuff.

Look at this Great Article:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw1/
Linux hardware stability guide, Part 1
CPU and memory troubleshooting
Daniel Robbins (drobbins@gentoo.org), President/CEO, Gentoo
Technologies, Inc.
Thank you Mitchell. I will try these tests and report back, though it
may take some time until I get to that.

Patrick