Old 01-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Memnon Anon

Default "D3 the chip in the firmware restart code"?

Hi!

Using my ipw2100 Wireless card, I have a problem, which seems
to be a very old bug that is still not fixed.

Error Message:
[ipw2100: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart.]

Asking google, I found this message by Matthew Garrett:

,----[Matthew Garrett MID: <20080921224210.GA24461@srcf.ucam.org>]
| Try D3ing the chip in the firmware restart code. Yes, it's retarded.
`----

Okay, I'd love to, but: what???

Nice to see there are still people working on this bug.
Maybe I should just wait till this is fixed, but nevertheless I'd
still like to know what D3 the chip means.

Can anyone shed light on this one?

thx

Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Memnon Anon wrote:
> Maybe I should just wait till this is fixed, but nevertheless I'd
> still like to know what D3 the chip means.
>
> Can anyone shed light on this one?

Sure. It refers to PCI device power states. D0 is active, D3 is "almost
powered off" (it is not completely powered off because the device's PCI
interface will still be powered up and online so that the system can access
the device's PCI config space, to e.g. power it up again).

Henrique Holschuh