Old 01-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Mark Copper

Default side effects of installing gimp

Hi,

I want to install gimp on an out-of-the-box installation of etch with
Gnome on an AMD64 system.

#aptitude install gimp

says 3 packages will be installed (gimp gimp-gnomevfs and gimp-python),
but that 91(!) packages will be removed. These include compilers
(binutils, cpp, gcc, guile, python2.4), possibly some duplication
(cupsys-common, gs-common), and many lib packages.

Is there something wrong with this picture? Is installation safe?
*Why* would it be necessary to remove so many packages?

Thanks.

Mark

Old 01-10-2009, 06:10 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Mark Copper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install gimp on an out-of-the-box installation of etch with
> Gnome on an AMD64 system.
>
> #aptitude install gimp
>
> says 3 packages will be installed (gimp gimp-gnomevfs and gimp-python),
> but that 91(!) packages will be removed. These include compilers
> (binutils, cpp, gcc, guile, python2.4), possibly some duplication
> (cupsys-common, gs-common), and many lib packages.
>
> Is there something wrong with this picture? Is installation safe?
> *Why* would it be necessary to remove so many packages?
Please provide full output of command. And also try 'apt-get install gimp'.

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Old 01-10-2009, 06:16 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Saturday 10 January 2009, Mark Copper <mcopper@titaninterface.com> wrote
about 'side effects of installing gimp':
>I want to install gimp on an out-of-the-box installation of etch with
>Gnome on an AMD64 system.
>
>#aptitude install gimp
>
>says 3 packages will be installed (gimp gimp-gnomevfs and gimp-python),
>but that 91(!) packages will be removed.

What happens if you just:
#aptitude install

You may have some packages that aptitude wants to remove because they are
marked "automatically installed to satisfy dependencies" and nothing
depends on them any more. They are safe to remove, but if you'd like to
keep them you can use:
#aptitude unmarkauto package_1 package_2 package_etc
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))