Old 01-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Osamu Aoki

Default update-exim4.conf.conf

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:11:25AM -0600, Harry P wrote:
> What does this line refer to
> dc_other_hostnames='vm25.local.lan'
>
> In /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf

This is created by debconf. Reading its dialog helps.

/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-config.templates contains

Template: exim4/dc_other_hostnames
Type: string
Default:
Please enter a semicolon-separated list of recipient domains for
which this machine should consider itself the final destination.
These domains are commonly called 'local domains'. The local hostname
(${fqdn}) and 'localhost' are always added to the list given here.
.
By default all local domains will be treated identically. If both
a.example and b.example are local domains, acc@a.example and
acc@b.example will be delivered to the same final destination. If
different domain names should be treated differently, it is
necessary to edit the config files afterwards.

> It contains my hosts name but it calls it other_hostnames.. somewhat
> confusing.
>
> Grepping for some documentation about that line gets no hits.
>
> grep -rl dc_other_hostname /usr/share/doc/exim* /usr/share/exim*

$ zgrep dc_other_hostname /usr/share/doc/exim4/*
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz: * Re-Word dc_other_hostnames debconf template.
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz: * Special-case "dsearch;" constructs in dc_other_hostnames, no
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz: * Fix list separator handling for dc_other_hostnames in ue4c.
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz: * fix wrong dc_other_hostnames statement in manpage. Thanks to
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz: explicitely in dc_other_hostnames, where users can easily remove it
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz: dc_other_hostnames, on fresh installations mailname is the default
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz: value of dc_other_hostnames. We store the fact that we have added
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz: mailname to dc_other_hostnames in $dc_mailname_in_oh in

This page may help:
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch07.en.html#themailsystem

Cheers,

Osamu

Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:11:25AM -0600, Harry P wrote:
> What does this line refer to
> dc_other_hostnames='vm25.local.lan'
>
> In /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf

one more best hit source:
$ man update-exim4.conf

or the same page can be seen by
$ man update-exim4.conf.conf

Osamu

Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Harry P

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:11:25AM -0600, Harry P wrote:
>> What does this line refer to
>> dc_other_hostnames='vm25.local.lan'
>>
>> In /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
>
> one more best hit source:
> $ man update-exim4.conf
>
> or the same page can be seen by
> $ man update-exim4.conf.conf

hehe... of course... when all else fails.. read the man page.
sorry.. it never occured to me it would have its own.

I was going through the info pages for exim and found no mention of
it.

Thanks for patience and good pointers.