Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Anton Liaukevich

Default Permanent problems with KDE

EXCUSE ME for message in russian to this list (mistaken by accident).

I use Lenny, full-upgrade distribution almost every day.

Formely (may be in August) I reinstalled Debian and save at the same
time KDE settings (~/.kde directory).

Plenty of time I have been plagued with KDE and its applications:

1) Every time, after I have being working for 30-40 minutes, KDE
applications (konquerror, krusader, kate, kile, kpdf, kdvi) ceases to
boot or opens after 10-15 min. since launching of them. Usually, there
is icon on the panel showing that application is booting, next the icon
disappears, but application stay in the process list (ps -A). After
killing the same repeats.

This problem pertains to only KDE applications, other gui applications
(iceweasel, icedove, codeblocks, acroread, openoffice.org) starts normally.

However, right after system & KDE rebooting KDE's applications starts
normally too.

2) Issue with login/logout in KDE.

Sometimes it occurs that after some working in KDE & logout X-server is
killed but not been resotored. Therefore I need to login at console (and
reboot the machine).

Sometimes it occurs that it is not able for the seconds user to login at
KDE (when the first one has already logged in and locked): KDE booting
stops at the 2nd stage. But for all that the second user can always
login to Gnome successfully.

3) Sometimes (after very long activities) Krusader buzzes.

Some information about my system:

distribution: Lenny, uptodate
kernel: package linux-image-2.6-686, ver. 2.6.26+17
x: package xserver-xorg, ver. 1:7.3+18, I use commercial nvidia drivers
(built from "nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-source" package)

kde: version of kdebase packages is 4:3.5.9.dfsg.1-6

There is my /home/ directory on a separate patition on NTFS! I'm using
"ntfs-3g" drivers but not from distribution and not even official from
www.ntfs-3g.org site. I'm using unofficial advanced branch from
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/advanced-ntfs-3g.html, release
1.5130AR.1 (it is considered stable there) in order to
_access_permissions_ will work (it is implemented using user mapping
(windows <-> linux)). Can this partition (which store user's profiles &
data) causes some problems with KDE?

Old 01-10-2009, 06:04 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Saturday 10 January 2009, Anton Liaukevich <leva-ml@gmx.com> wrote
about 'Permanent problems with KDE':
>EXCUSE ME for message in russian to this list (mistaken by accident).

No problem. Everyone makes mistakes.

>I use Lenny, full-upgrade distribution almost every day.

I safe-upgrade, but mostly I'm in the same boat.

>Formely (may be in August) I reinstalled Debian and save at the same
>time KDE settings (~/.kde directory).
>
>Plenty of time I have been plagued with KDE and its applications:

They are working good here. There were some delays last month, but not as
severe as you indicate and affecting all applications. It turned out to
be a resolvconf configuration issue that causes DNS requests to go over
the VPN rather than be resolved locally.

>1) Every time, after I have being working for 30-40 minutes, KDE
>applications (konquerror, krusader, kate, kile, kpdf, kdvi) ceases to
>boot or opens after 10-15 min. since launching of them. Usually, there
>is icon on the panel showing that application is booting, next the icon
>disappears, but application stay in the process list (ps -A). After
>killing the same repeats.

It might be helpful to start the process under strace and look at where it
is spending most of it's time.

>2) Issue with login/logout in KDE.
>
>Sometimes it occurs that after some working in KDE & logout X-server is
>killed but not been resotored. Therefore I need to login at console (and
>reboot the machine).

Do you have to reboot the machine, or can you simply restart your login
manager? Assuming you are using kdm you can try to restart the login
manager with "invoke-rc.d kdm restart" as root.

>3) Sometimes (after very long activities) Krusader buzzes.

buzzes?

>Some information about my system:
>
>distribution: Lenny, uptodate
>kernel: package linux-image-2.6-686, ver. 2.6.26+17
>x: package xserver-xorg, ver. 1:7.3+18, I use commercial nvidia drivers
>(built from "nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-source" package)

Can you try with the nv driver instead? Just temporarily to see if the
nvidia driver could be at fault. No need to uninstall the nvidia driver,
just install xserver-xorg-video-nv. Then, update your X.org
changing 'Driver "nvidia"' to 'Driver "nv"'.

>There is my /home/ directory on a separate patition on NTFS! I'm using
>"ntfs-3g" drivers but not from distribution and not even official from
>www.ntfs-3g.org site. I'm using unofficial advanced branch from
>http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/advanced-ntfs-3g.html, release
>1.5130AR.1 (it is considered stable there) in order to
>_access_permissions_ will work (it is implemented using user mapping
>(windows <-> linux)). Can this partition (which store user's profiles &
>data) causes some problems with KDE?

It's possible, but a little unlikely. KDE stores configuration settings in
~/.kde, but those are all normal files. It also uses ~/.kde/tmp-* and
~/.kde/socket-* but only as symlinks to directories in /tmp, and I'm
pretty sure NTFS has good support for symlinks.

Still, if reasonable, you should try with Debian's ntfs-3g (temporarily)
and see if the problem persists, just to remove some suspicion.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))