Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Michael Kress

Default libvirt / text console install

Hi, I'm not able to get a text console install of any distribution
(CentOS-5.2 for example).
I'm using the following command:
virt-install -n myname -f myimage.img -s 10 -c
/iso/CentOS-5.2-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso --accelerate -r 1024 --hvm --nographics
The vnc version of this command works flawlessly, but I'd like this host
to be a headless one.
The installation seems to start as I can see the instance with state
"running" with the following command:
virsh -c qemu:///system list
But all I see is the following messages:
========================
Starting install...
Creating domain...
Connecting to uri: qemu:///system
========================
After a while there's one strange character showing up in the console.

Pressing Ctrl-Alt Gr-] I can exit the screen and there's a message:
========================
Domain installation still in progress. You can reconnect to
the console to complete the installation process.

BTW, I got the following line in /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf
vnc_listen="192.168.2.3"
But also tried without that line.

How can I get the text console to show up?

I'm using debian 4.0 r6.

Thanks
Michael