Old 01-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Bob Cox

Default Lenny: which arch for a Intel Core 2 Duo?

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 20:49:25 -0800, Steve Lamb (grey@dmiyu.org) wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Which is why if you want privacy *and* address independence, you need to
> > spend the extra effort to get a dynamic DNS address and run your own
> > IMAPS server, and probably a web server, too, with squirrelmail.
>
> DynDNS has problems since you will get blocked on outbound mail. Even
> with a static IP it is next to impossible to mail AOhelL, Yahoo! or Google.
> Find a decent VM vendor and lease a 256Mb box.

So long as you have a static IP which is from a block recognised as such
(which amongst other things means it is not listed in dul.dnsbl) AND
have valid a valid rDNS (PTR record) in place then you can send to these
people ok. I've been doing it for years.

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:49:25PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Which is why if you want privacy *and* address independence, you need to
> > spend the extra effort to get a dynamic DNS address and run your own
> > IMAPS server, and probably a web server, too, with squirrelmail.
>
> DynDNS has problems since you will get blocked on outbound mail. Even
> with a static IP it is next to impossible to mail AOhelL, Yahoo! or Google.
> Find a decent VM vendor and lease a 256Mb box.

Find a cheap VM vendor and relay yourmail through a tunnel to it or simply
authenticated SMTP.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 08:13:29PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Bob Cox wrote:
> > So long as you have a static IP which is from a block recognised as such
> > (which amongst other things means it is not listed in dul.dnsbl) AND
> > have valid a valid rDNS (PTR record) in place then you can send to these
> > people ok. I've been doing it for years.
>
> That's the problem, the rDNS. Most of the large email providers don't
> make a distinction between the dynamic IP pool and the static IP pool of ISP.
> Some, AOL for example, will allow mail if your reverse DNS matches.
> However the large ISPs that control DSL/Cable over on this side of the pond
> will happily sell you $5/month for a static IP but will not change the reverse
> DNS.

rDNS is not the only problem. At work ee got a static IP and a different
rDNS for it. We still managed to get blacklisted by an over-zelious
provider (that blacklisted our whole block, and wanted the ISP to block
outgoing SMTP)

I still send mail outside, but use some external relays for some of the
addresses.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend