Old 01-10-2009, 04:15 AM
Ken Irving

Default Character mode for telnet

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:13:32PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I know that, after I connect with telnet I can got to command mode and
> enter 'mode char' to get into character mode. Is there any way to have
> telnet start up in character mode? I am trying to control a robot
> through a wireless connection and I need to be in character mode for it
> to work.

I tried and failed to find a way to do this, and just
use 'm c' after starting telnet ('m line' to go back to
line mode). You might try netcat (nc) as an alternative
to telnet.

Ken

--
Ken Irving

Old 01-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Marc Shapiro

Ken Irving wrote:

I know that, after I connect with telnet I can got to command mode and
enter 'mode char' to get into character mode. Is there any way to have
telnet start up in character mode? I am trying to control a robot
through a wireless connection and I need to be in character mode for it
to work.

I tried and failed to find a way to do this, and just
use 'm c' after starting telnet ('m line' to go back to
line mode). You might try netcat (nc) as an alternative
to telnet.

Ken

I was using netcat, but it was also using line mode and the vendor for
the robot suggeted using telnet in character mode. Is it possible to
put netcat into character mode? Automatically, or by internal command?

Marc

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Ken Irving

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:15:51PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Ken Irving wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:13:32PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>>
>>> I know that, after I connect with telnet I can got to command mode
>>> and enter 'mode char' to get into character mode. Is there any way
>>> to have telnet start up in character mode? I am trying to control a
>>> robot through a wireless connection and I need to be in character
>>> mode for it to work.
>>
>> I tried and failed to find a way to do this, and just
>> use 'm c' after starting telnet ('m line' to go back to
>> line mode). You might try netcat (nc) as an alternative
>> to telnet.
>>

> I was using netcat, but it was also using line mode and the vendor for
> the robot suggeted using telnet in character mode. Is it possible to
> put netcat into character mode? Automatically, or by internal command?

I just tried it (nc) after doing 'stty raw' in the terminal, and that
looked pretty close, if perhaps too raw (e.g., ^C wouldn't halt the
session). I'm sure there are some particular terminal settings that
would give the right behavior.

Ken

--
Ken Irving

Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Ken Irving

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:04:25AM -0900, Ken Irving wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:15:51PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > Ken Irving wrote:

> >> I tried and failed to find a way to do this, and just
> >> use 'm c' after starting telnet ('m line' to go back to
> >> line mode). You might try netcat (nc) as an alternative
> >> to telnet.
> >>

> > I was using netcat, but it was also using line mode and the vendor for
> > the robot suggeted using telnet in character mode. Is it possible to
> > put netcat into character mode? Automatically, or by internal command?
>
> I just tried it (nc) after doing 'stty raw' in the terminal, and that
> looked pretty close, if perhaps too raw (e.g., ^C wouldn't halt the
> session). I'm sure there are some particular terminal settings that
> would give the right behavior.

This might do it:

$ stty -icanon min 1 time 0

Ken

--
Ken Irving

Old 01-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Arthur Marsh

I know that, after I connect with telnet I can got to command mode and
enter 'mode char' to get into character mode. Is there any way to have
telnet start up in character mode? I am trying to control a robot
through a wireless connection and I need to be in character mode for it
to work.

C-Kermit from the Kermit project has the most configurable and
script-able kermit client imaginable.

package ckermit is in non-free, or you can get the source and
documentation from http://www.columbia.edu/kermit (latest source is
ftp://ftp.columbia.edu/kermit/test/tar/x.tar.gz, compiles with make
kermit, options available for openssl, zlib, pam).

Arthur.