Old 01-09-2009, 09:38 PM
"Chris S"

Default Help with u tube video streaming

Hello everyone genius type people,
Can you help, I don't know much about computers (in comparison to you guys) and nearly zero about linux/debian, however after my friend had a rather fatal problem with windows recently I decided to try Debian and I love it. So I installed the lastest stable version, etch, and have very nearly got a system with the same functionality as the old windows system however I simply cannot seem to get u tube videos to play correctly., under windows they ran perfectlly but now the video is very 'jerky'. I am unsure about the further details you require and so instead of guessing could you let me know what you need (and maybe how to find it) I will send you the details. I have googled myself to near insanity but cannot find anything that directly helps. My apologies if I'm not being clear or doing something wrong.

--
OM MANI PADME HUM

Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Daryl Styrk

http://www.debianadmin.com/how-to-install-adobe-flash-in-debian-etchlennysid.html

Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Michael Pobega

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:38:34PM +0000, Chris S wrote:
> Hello everyone genius type people,
> Can you help, I don't know much about computers (in comparison to you guys)
> and nearly zero about linux/debian, however after my friend had a rather
> fatal problem with windows recently I decided to try Debian and I love it.
> So I installed the lastest stable version, etch, and have very nearly got a
> system with the same functionality as the old windows system however I
> simply cannot seem to get u tube videos to play correctly., under windows
> they ran perfectlly but now the video is very 'jerky'. I am unsure about the
> further details you require and so instead of guessing could you let me know
> what you need (and maybe how to find it) I will send you the details. I have
> googled myself to near insanity but cannot find anything that directly
> helps. My apologies if I'm not being clear or doing something wrong.

I'm not trying to say something completely useless here, but perhaps you
should try updated to Lenny? Etch is soon to be an unsupported version
of Debian, so I would honestly upgrade before getting into anything.

Anyway, I've had lots of problems with flash in Debian, so I eventually
dumped it. For my YouTube fix I'm using a Greasemonkey script[1] to play
YouTube videos in mplayer (for this you'll need the mplayer browser
plugin)

Also, for simpler problems like this, perhaps #debian is more suitable?
You'll get quicker answers to these questions instead of waiting for
hours.

[1]http://www.gc-group.dk/youtube/

Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 PM
"Adrian Levi"

2009/1/10 Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:38:34PM +0000, Chris S wrote:
>> Hello everyone genius type people,
>> Can you help, I don't know much about computers (in comparison to you guys)

>> they ran perfectlly but now the video is very 'jerky'. I am unsure about the
>> further details you require and so instead of guessing could you let me know
>> what you need (and maybe how to find it) I will send you the details. I have
>> googled myself to near insanity but cannot find anything that directly
>> helps. My apologies if I'm not being clear or doing something wrong.

> I'm not trying to say something completely useless here, but perhaps you
> should try updated to Lenny? Etch is soon to be an unsupported version
> of Debian, so I would honestly upgrade before getting into anything.

Yes it is soon to be oldstable but security fixes will still apply to
it for some time.

Updating to Lenny for a new user for your reason above is 1)
Unnessesary to fix this problem, 2) can create more problems than he
is trying to fix and 3) Lenny is not stable yet.

To the OP: If your video is jerky, what are you running as a video
driver? One that "just worked" from the install or one that you
installed yourself?

If your running an nVidia chipset I have found that the free "nv"
driver works but I suffer poor frame rates with it to the point of
DVD's being very difficult to watch.

Can you give us the output of lspci and lsmod.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:17 PM
"Chris S"

2009/1/9 Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:38:34PM +0000, Chris S wrote:

> Hello everyone genius type people,

> Can you help, I don't know much about computers (in comparison to you guys)

> and nearly zero about linux/debian, however after my friend had a rather

> fatal problem with windows recently I decided to try Debian and I love it.

> So I installed the lastest stable version, etch, and have very nearly got a

> system with the same functionality as the old windows system however I

> simply cannot seem to get u tube videos to play correctly., under windows

> they ran perfectlly but now the video is very 'jerky'. I am unsure about the

> further details you require and so instead of guessing could you let me know

> what you need (and maybe how to find it) I will send you the details. I have

> googled myself to near insanity but cannot find anything that directly

> helps. My apologies if I'm not being clear or doing something wrong.

I'm not trying to say something completely useless here, but perhaps you

should try updated to Lenny? Etch is soon to be an unsupported version

of Debian, so I would honestly upgrade before getting into anything.

Anyway, I've had lots of problems with flash in Debian, so I eventually

dumped it. For my YouTube fix I'm using a Greasemonkey script[1] to play

YouTube videos in mplayer (for this you'll need the mplayer browser

plugin)

Also, for simpler problems like this, perhaps #debian is more suitable?

You'll get quicker answers to these questions instead of waiting for

hours.

[1]http://www.gc-group.dk/youtube/

Hi thanks, ok not sure what to do, I started using the method given in url with details to follow, I hope however that I haven't posted to the wrong mailing list I am not sure what you mean by '#debain' sorry, its probably something obvous, a different mailing list for idiots? On your second point upgrading, yeah ok no problem, so to be clear is your advice to upgarde to lenny, and then use the Greasemonkey script[1] rather than flash plug in. PS thank you for you patience epsecially if I'm in the wrong place. Oh and I'll copy what I was going to send before I got the second reply below

[...]

*** >

*** http://www.debianadmin.com/how-to-install-adobe-flash-in-debian-etchlennysid.html

*** --
*** To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

Ok thanks, I attempted the first method listed but am having problems, should I try a different method or continue and work through the problems using the first, following method one as follows, amended sources.list it now reads as follows

#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4a _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20080804-15:10]/ etch contrib main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4a _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20080804-15:10]/ etch contrib main

deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free

deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

then ran apt-get update and had follwing problems

JessieJames:~# apt-get update
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4a _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20 080804-15:10] etch Release.gpg
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4a _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20 080804-15:10] etch Release

Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4a _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20 080804-15:10] etch/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4a _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20 080804-15:10] etch/main Packages/DiffIndex

Get: 1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch Release.gpg [386B]
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch Release
Get: 2 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release.gpg [189B]

Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex

Get: 3 http://www.backports.org etch-backports Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/main Sources/DiffIndex

Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources/DiffIndex

Get: 4 http://www.backports.org etch-backports Release [43.7kB]
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/non-free Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/main Packages

Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/non-free Packages
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/main Sources
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/non-free Sources

Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages

Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Sources
Ign http://www.backports.org etch-backports Release

Get: 5 http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release.gpg [197B]
Get: 6 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/main Packages [396kB]

Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release
Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Get: 7 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/contrib Packages [2835B]

Get: 8 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/non-free Packages [5882B]
Get: 9 http://http.us.debian.org etch Release.gpg [386B]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch Release

Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages
Fetched 450kB in 3s (114kB/s)

Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://www.backports.org etch-backports Release: The following sig natures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY EA8E8B2116BA136C

Running this again got same results, attempted to skip and go to next instruction to install debian-backports-keyring and got following

JessieJames:~# apt-get install debian-backports-keyring

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed
* debian-backports-keyring
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3310B of archives.

After unpacking 49.2kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
* debian-backports-keyring
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Err http://www.backports.org etch-backports/main debian-backports-keyring 2007.06.10

* Could not resolve 'www.backports.org'
Failed to fetch http://www.backports.org/debian/pool/main/d/debian-backports-keyring/debian-backports-keyring_2007.06.10_all.deb* Could not resolve 'www.backports.org'

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Finally (because I thought I must have a version of flash installed as the u tube vids DO play) ran apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree and recieved

JessieJames:~# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Suggested packages:
* konqueror-nsplugins x-ttcidfont-conf msttcorefonts ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs

The following packages will be REMOVED
* flashplayer-mozilla
The following NEW packages will be installed
* flashplugin-nonfree
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.8kB of archives.

After unpacking 8077kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

Err http://www.backports.org etch-backports/contrib flashplugin-nonfree 1:1.4~bpo40+1
* Could not resolve 'www.backports.org'
Failed to fetch http://www.backports.org/debian/pool/contrib/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-nonfree_1.4~bpo40+1_i386.deb Could not resolve 'www.backports.org'

Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 PM
"Chris S"

2009/1/10 Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com>

2009/1/10 Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:38:34PM +0000, Chris S wrote:

>> Hello everyone genius type people,

>> Can you help, I don't know much about computers (in comparison to you guys)

>> they ran perfectlly but now the video is very 'jerky'. I am unsure about the

>> further details you require and so instead of guessing could you let me know

>> what you need (and maybe how to find it) I will send you the details. I have

>> googled myself to near insanity but cannot find anything that directly

>> helps. My apologies if I'm not being clear or doing something wrong.

> I'm not trying to say something completely useless here, but perhaps you

> should try updated to Lenny? Etch is soon to be an unsupported version

> of Debian, so I would honestly upgrade before getting into anything.

Yes it is soon to be oldstable but security fixes will still apply to

it for some time.

Updating to Lenny for a new user for your reason above is 1)

Unnessesary to fix this problem, 2) can create more problems than he

is trying to fix and 3) Lenny is not stable yet.

To the OP: If your video is jerky, what are you running as a video

driver? One that "just worked" from the install or one that you

installed yourself?

If your running an nVidia chipset I have found that the free "nv"

driver works but I suffer poor frame rates with it to the point of

DVD's being very difficult to watch.

Can you give us the output of lspci and lsmod.

Adrian

--

24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?

apartment it is.

Ok with respect to the preson who advised upgarding as I'm getting conflictling advice on this issue I'm going to hang back on that for now, I'm sending output requested
JessieJames:/home/chris# lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 730 Host (rev 02)
00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)

00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Et hernet (rev 82)
00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev* 07)
00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev* 07)

00:01.4 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS PCI Au dio Accelerator (rev 02)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge ( AGP)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64 /Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)

and...
JessieJames:/home/chris# lsmod
Module***************** Size* Used by
ipv6***************** 213984* 8
ppdev****************** 8708* 0
lp******************** 10948* 0
button***************** 6800* 0

ac********************* 5252* 0
battery**************** 9732* 0
xt_tcpudp************** 3200* 73
ipt_TOS**************** 2432* 34
ipt_tos**************** 1792* 0
ipt_TCPMSS************* 4224* 2
xt_tcpmss************** 2432* 0

ipt_LOG**************** 6016* 39
ipt_REJECT************* 5248* 0
iptable_nat************ 7044* 0
ip_nat**************** 16428* 1 iptable_nat
iptable_mangle********* 2944* 1
iptable_filter********* 3200* 1

xt_multiport*********** 3328* 0
xt_state*************** 2304* 13
xt_limit*************** 2816* 40
xt_conntrack*********** 2688* 0
ip_conntrack_ftp******* 7536* 0
ip_conntrack********** 47156* 5 iptable_nat,ip_nat,xt_state,xt_conntrack,ip_conntr ack_ftp

nfnetlink************** 6680* 2 ip_nat,ip_conntrack
ip_tables************* 12104* 3 iptable_nat,iptable_mangle,iptable_filter
x_tables************** 12932* 13 xt_tcpudp,ipt_TOS,ipt_tos,ipt_TCPMSS,xt_tcpmss,ipt _LOG,ipt_REJECT,iptable_nat,xt_multiport,xt_state, xt_limit,xt_conntrack,ip_tables

dm_snapshot*********** 15644* 0
dm_mirror************* 18000* 0
dm_mod**************** 48952* 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
loop****************** 14216* 0
snd_trident*********** 37156* 2
snd_ac97_codec******** 82848* 1 snd_trident

snd_ac97_bus*********** 2432* 1 snd_ac97_codec
tsdev****************** 7616* 0
snd_pcm_oss*********** 38048* 1
snd_mixer_oss********* 15232* 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm*************** 65928* 3 snd_trident,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss

snd_page_alloc******** 10248* 2 snd_trident,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem*********** 4736* 1 snd_trident
snd_seq_dummy********** 3972* 0
snd_seq_oss*********** 27648* 0
snd_seq_midi*********** 8352* 0
snd_mpu401************* 7528* 0

snd_mpu401_uart******** 7552* 2 snd_trident,snd_mpu401
snd_seq_midi_event***** 6784* 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq*************** 42192* 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer************* 19972* 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq

snd_rawmidi*********** 22048* 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device********* 7820* 6 snd_trident,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi ,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
analog**************** 10528* 0
serio_raw************** 6532* 0

snd******************* 45412* 14 snd_trident,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_o ss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_mpu401,snd_mpu401_uart, snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
gameport************** 13832* 3 snd_trident,analog

parport_pc************ 31524* 1
parport*************** 32200* 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
psmouse*************** 34568* 0
floppy**************** 52004* 0
shpchp**************** 32796* 0
pci_hotplug*********** 28088* 1 shpchp

rtc******************* 11572* 0
soundcore************** 8928* 2 snd
i2c_sis630************* 7308* 0
i2c_core************** 19472* 1 i2c_sis630
pcspkr***************** 2816* 0
sis_agp**************** 8452* 1

agpgart*************** 29360* 1 sis_agp
evdev****************** 9088* 1
ext3***************** 116488* 1
jbd******************* 47272* 1 ext3
ide_cd**************** 35616* 1
cdrom***************** 32416* 1 ide_cd

ide_disk************** 14848* 3
ohci_hcd************** 17540* 0
usbcore************** 109444* 2 ohci_hcd
sis900**************** 21120* 0
mii******************** 5376* 1 sis900
sis5513*************** 12552* 0 [permanent]

generic**************** 4996* 0 [permanent]
ide_core************* 107760* 4 ide_cd,ide_disk,sis5513,generic
thermal*************** 13576* 0
processor************* 23724* 1 thermal
fan******************** 4868* 0

Got no idea what all that means but I love it.
--
OM MANI PADME HUM

Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Bernie Dolan

On Etch do the following:

open a console and log in as root and type:

echo "deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 16BA136C

gpg --export | apt-key add -

aptitude update

aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree

Enjoy Youtube

[...]

bd3@dolanlane.net

Beatings will continue until morale improves.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 PM
"Chris S"

2009/1/10 Bernie Dolan <bd3@dolanlane.net>

[...]

reult from last advice seemed to install ok details to follow but no affect on the frame rate on u tube, I get a picture update about one a sec and a half, I know it can't be hardware as nothing has changed in hardware or connection speed, oh and when I right click the video and go to ? it lists on the website that loads that I am running version 9,0,152,0 should this not be 10.something? sending result or last advice now

JessieJames:/home/chris#***** echo "deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-bac kports main contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
JessieJames:/home/chris#

JessieJames:/home/chris#**** gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 1 6BA136C
gpg: directory `/root/.gnupg' created
gpg: can't open `/gnupg/options.skel': No such file or directory

gpg: keyring `/root/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/root/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key 16BA136C from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
gpg: /root/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created

gpg: key 16BA136C: public key "Backports.org Archive Key <ftp-master@backports.o rg>" imported
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:************** imported: 1

JessieJames:/home/chris#**** gpg --export | apt-key add -
OK
JessieJames:/home/chris#
JessieJames:/home/chris#**** aptitude update

Get:4 http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release.gpg [197B]
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release
Get:5 http://http.us.debian.org etch Release.gpg [386B]

Hit http://www.backports.org etch-backports Release

Hit http://www.backports.org etch-backports/main Packages/DiffIndex

Hit http://www.backports.org etch-backports/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://www.backports.org etch-backports/non-free Packages/DiffIndex

Hit http://www.backports.org etch-backports/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://www.backports.org etch-backports/contrib Packages/DiffIndex

Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Sources
Hit http://www.backports.org etch-backports/contrib Packages

Hit http://www.backports.org etch-backports/contrib Packages
Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages

Fetched 193B in 1s (113B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
JessieJames:/home/chris#**** aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information

Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
* flashplayer-mozilla

* flashplugin-nonfree
The following packages will be REMOVED:
* flashplayer-mozilla
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.8kB of archives. After unpacking 8077kB will be freed.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Writing extended state information... Done
Get:1 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/contrib flashplugin-nonfree 1:1.4~ bpo40+1 [13.8kB]

Fetched 13.8kB in 0s (48.8kB/s)
(Reading database ... 81867 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing flashplayer-mozilla ...
Selecting previously deselected package flashplugin-nonfree.
(Reading database ... 81862 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking flashplugin-nonfree (from .../flashplugin-nonfree_1%3a1.4~bpo40+1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up flashplugin-nonfree (1.4~bpo40+1) ...
Adobe Flash Player installed.

--
OM MANI PADME HUM

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Ron Johnson

Can you help, I don't know much about computers (in comparison to you guys)
and nearly zero about linux/debian, however after my friend had a rather
fatal problem with windows recently I decided to try Debian and I love it.
So I installed the lastest stable version, etch, and have very nearly got a
system with the same functionality as the old windows system however I
simply cannot seem to get u tube videos to play correctly., under windows
they ran perfectlly but now the video is very 'jerky'. I am unsure about the
further details you require and so instead of guessing could you let me know
what you need (and maybe how to find it) I will send you the details. I have
googled myself to near insanity but cannot find anything that directly
helps. My apologies if I'm not being clear or doing something wrong.

So, you're using a Riva TNT2/64 card. God, but that's ancient!

I recommend that you:
a) replace that ancient card with an trailing edge card. Something
in the GeForce 7xxx range,

b) completely change your sources.list to the attached file,
c) upgrade to Lenny,
d) install the binary Flash driver from adobe-flashplugin.

Remember that since Debian is totally foreign to you, there will be
problems. Find a local LUG (Linux Users Group), and attach yourself
to them at the hip. Many will gladly come to your house and help in
exchange for a 6-pack of beer.

If Debian is still too daunting and you need something a little less
daunting, you might want to wipe Debian and use a more noob-friendly
distro until you get more expert with Linux. That's what I had to
do, many years ago.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

deb ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

Old 01-10-2009, 12:10 AM
"Chris S"

[...]

--'
So, you're using a Riva TNT2/64 card. *God, but that's ancient!'
Yeah smile I know but it was a free PC my mate got given I COULD update the card but I know it must be capable of running ok as it worked just fine with the 'Other' OS

---'
b) completely change your sources.list to the attached file,

c) upgrade to Lenny,

d) install the binary Flash driver from adobe-flashplugin.'
Well a few have said this but at least one has said upgrading may not be requried, I have no problem doing this if this is required.

---'Remember that since Debian is totally foreign to you, there will be
problems. *Find a local LUG (Linux Users Group), and attach yourself to
them at the hip. *Many will gladly come to your house and help in
exchange for a 6-pack of beer.'
I'll google this idea and fill up the fridge

---'If Debian is still too daunting and you need something a little less
daunting, you might want to wipe Debian and use a more noob-friendly
distro until you get more expert with Linux. *That's what I had to do,
many years ago.'
WELL, I will promise to leave you guy's alone if needed but I'm loving playing aroung with it seeing who it works, I not giving up, if i can just get this last bit working my mate won't complain and I can spend the next year 'playing with alll the lovely commands etc.

--
OM MANI PADME HUM