Old 01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
root

Default root's offsite mail

How can I get 'root' out of the 'From:' line of root's offsite mail?
I've scanned the docs for exim4, mutt and mailx on this Debian
etch(mostly) system but nothing found so far.
I know I can send mail as another user but would rather
find a solution that doesn't necessitate that.
I tried Google but found no answer there.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Ron Johnson

How can I get 'root' out of the 'From:' line of root's offsite mail?
I've scanned the docs for exim4, mutt and mailx on this Debian
etch(mostly) system but nothing found so far.
I know I can send mail as another user but would rather

You *should*.

Running as root is a *Bad Idea* for the same reason that running a
Windows account is a Bad Idea.

But while it is sometimes necessary to log into Windows as Admin, it
is *"never"* necessary to log into X Windows as root. Ever.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2009-01-09 13:34:03, schrieb Ron Johnson:
> On 01/09/09 11:04, root wrote:
> > How can I get 'root' out of the 'From:' line of root's offsite mail?
> >I've scanned the docs for exim4, mutt and mailx on this Debian
> >etch(mostly) system but nothing found so far.
> > I know I can send mail as another user but would rather
>
> You *should*.
>
> Running as root is a *Bad Idea* for the same reason that running a
> Windows account is a Bad Idea.

Can you please tell this "cron"

If you have a System without any user accounts, there are a bunch of
services installed (like "cron") which send "From: root" and you can not
configure this crap (I have already filles a bug report for it)

Note: Even if you forward "root" message sto a user account,
the "From:" is always "root" and the Forward-Account is

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>
Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Ron Johnson

How can I get 'root' out of the 'From:' line of root's offsite mail?
I've scanned the docs for exim4, mutt and mailx on this Debian
etch(mostly) system but nothing found so far.
I know I can send mail as another user but would rather

You *should*.

Running as root is a *Bad Idea* for the same reason that running a
Windows account is a Bad Idea.

Can you please tell this "cron"

Cron is not *you* running as root.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Andrew Malcolmson

root wrote:

How can I get 'root' out of the 'From:' line of root's offsite mail?
I've scanned the docs for exim4, mutt and mailx on this Debian
etch(mostly) system but nothing found so far.
I know I can send mail as another user but would rather
find a solution that doesn't necessitate that.
I tried Google but found no answer there.
Thanks,
Mike

In .muttrc you can add a 'set from' line:

set from="melvin@aol.com"

For system mail forwarded to a real address in /etc/aliases, you would
want something like Postfix's address rewriting rules like so:

http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

esmtp has a way to do this too, as I recall.

Hope this is what you need.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 05:30:51PM -0500, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:
> root wrote:
>> How can I get 'root' out of the 'From:' line of root's offsite mail?
>> I've scanned the docs for exim4, mutt and mailx on this Debian
>> etch(mostly) system but nothing found so far.
>> I know I can send mail as another user but would rather
>> find a solution that doesn't necessitate that.
>> I tried Google but found no answer there.
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
> In .muttrc you can add a 'set from' line:
>
> set from="melvin@aol.com"
>
> For system mail forwarded to a real address in /etc/aliases, you would
> want something like Postfix's address rewriting rules like so:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

As aparant from the headers, he's running exim and the mail was not sent
with mutt (the mailer has not set any user-agent header. I suspect the
simpler 'mail' was used).

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Andrew Malcolmson

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
As aparant from the headers, he's running exim and the mail was not sent
with mutt (the mailer has not set any user-agent header. I suspect the
simpler 'mail' was used).

Yeah, I meant to type that I didn't know about exim but you could do
this with Postfix as indicated.

However, he did say he'd looked at mutt docs on how to do this so I
guess he uses it sometimes.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Elimar Riesebieter

* root [090109 09:04 -0800]
> How can I get 'root' out of the 'From:' line of root's offsite mail?
> I've scanned the docs for exim4, mutt and mailx on this Debian
> etch(mostly) system but nothing found so far.
> I know I can send mail as another user but would rather
> find a solution that doesn't necessitate that.
> I tried Google but found no answer there.

echo "root: 'your username' >> /etc/aliases.

In that case sendmailbased MTA's like exim sends root's mails to
'your username'.

Elimar

--
"Talking much about oneself can also
be a means to conceal oneself."

Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:20:38AM +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> * root [090109 09:04 -0800]
> > How can I get 'root' out of the 'From:' line of root's offsite mail?
> > I've scanned the docs for exim4, mutt and mailx on this Debian
> > etch(mostly) system but nothing found so far.
> > I know I can send mail as another user but would rather
> > find a solution that doesn't necessitate that.
> > I tried Google but found no answer there.
>
> echo "root: 'your username' >> /etc/aliases.
>
> In that case sendmailbased MTA's like exim sends root's mails to
> 'your username'.

This does not rewrite the From header or Sender SMTP header on outgoing
messages.

I don't see any exim users replying (on postfix I'd use sender_cannonical).
/etc/exim4/conf.d/rewrite/31_exim4-config_rewriting looks promising, but
I can't help further.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 09:04:19AM -0800, root wrote:
> How can I get 'root' out of the 'From:' line of root's offsite mail?
> I've scanned the docs for exim4, mutt and mailx on this Debian
> etch(mostly) system but nothing found so far.
> I know I can send mail as another user but would rather
> find a solution that doesn't necessitate that.
> I tried Google but found no answer there.
> Thanks,

Basically you are trying to rewrite mail address. Since you are using
exim4 and have root access, configuring exim4 to rewrite source address
is the way to go.

See "man 5 exim4-config_files" and set up /etc/email-addresses file.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch07.en.html#themailaddressconfiguration

Cheers,

Osamu