Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 PM
"Simon Pepping @ Home"

Default nfssvc: Setting version failed

Since end of November I experienced problems with my nfs server: It failed to
respond to mount requests, and clients reported that it was down. In the
daemon log I find this error message during startup: 'nfsd[XXXX]: nfssvc:
Setting version failed: errno 16 (Device or resource busy)'. In a message on
debian-user of Jan. 2007 it is said that this is due to another set of
nfs-kernel-servers being started. I found that I had a startup file for
nfs-user-server, /etc/init.d/nfs-user-server, while the package had been
removed. Purging the package nfs-user-server, thereby removing the left-over
startup file, solved the problem, and my nfs server is responding to mount
requests again.

I run the testing distribution. I suppose that the package nfs-user-server
was automatically removed during an upgrade at the end of November because
no packages depended on it any more. Apparently, the left-over startup file
did not do proper checking, did start up and caused a problem.

My problem is now solved. I am reporting it here so that others can read
this. I suppose I cannot file a bug against an obsolete package.

Regards, Simon

Simon Pepping

Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM
"Simon Pepping @ Home"

On second thought, the inability to mount file systems over nfs is not
related to the nfssvc error message, but rather to network problems. That
makes the nfssvc error rather harmless.

Regards, Simon

Simon Pepping