Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Harry Putnam

Default where is mount.cifs

Where is the mount.cifs tool?

Maybe I need to expand my sources.list, but neither aptitude search
or apt-cache search know anything about cifs.

Its not installed already following a fresh install of lenny.
and install through aptitude of samba samba-common

The samba-doc pkg includes mention of mount.cifs but I don't find the
tool anywhere.

My sources list only includes:

deb ftp://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
and
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib

With those sources I'm striking out finding anything to do a mount
type cifs with.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Harry Putnam escreveu:
> Where is the mount.cifs tool?
>
> Maybe I need to expand my sources.list, but neither aptitude search
> or apt-cache search know anything about cifs.
>
> Its not installed already following a fresh install of lenny.
> and install through aptitude of samba samba-common
>
> The samba-doc pkg includes mention of mount.cifs but I don't find the
> tool anywhere.
>
> My sources list only includes:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
> and
> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
>
> With those sources I'm striking out finding anything to do a mount
> type cifs with.

A nice web trick: http://packages.debian.org/file:mount.cifs .

As you can see, it's in the smbfs package.

>From a running debian-system, apt-file search mount.cifs would yield
comparable results. (The apt-file package must be installed first, but
it's worth it.)

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 01-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

> Where is the mount.cifs tool?

$ apt-file search mount.cifs
samba-doc: /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/manpages/mount.cifs.8.html
samba-doc: /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/manpages/umount.cifs.8.html
smbfs: /sbin/mount.cifs
smbfs: /sbin/umount.cifs
smbfs: /usr/share/man/man8/mount.cifs.8.gz
smbfs: /usr/share/man/man8/umount.cifs.8.gz

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Old 01-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Harry Putnam

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> writes:

> A nice web trick: http://packages.debian.org/file:mount.cifs .
>
> As you can see, it's in the smbfs package.
>
>>From a running debian-system, apt-file search mount.cifs would yield
> comparable results. (The apt-file package must be installed first, but
> it's worth it.)

Nice yes. I already have apt-file installed but didn't realize it
worked beyond installed pkgs, so didn't even think to try it. Thanks