Old 01-08-2009, 12:39 PM
"Zaki Akhmad"

Default Local Language (Localization)

Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 03:23:27PM +0700, Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I come from Indonesia. I see Ubuntu already package Indonesian
> language. How do I activate Indonesian language on Debian?

Install tasks related to Indonesian language from aptitude.

OOps, I do not find them. Strange. Time to organize inonesian l10n
activities...

Osamu

Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:41:37AM +0000, Pedro Insua wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 03:23:27PM +0700, Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I come from Indonesia. I see Ubuntu already package Indonesian
> > language. How do I activate Indonesian language on Debian?
> >

> You can read The Debian Reference Guide:
>
> 9.7 Localization (l10n)
>
> Debian is internationalized, offering support for a growing number of
> languages and local usage conventions. The next subsection lists some
> of the forms of diversity that Debian currently supports, and the
> following subsections discuss localization, the process of customizing
> your working environment to allow current input and output of your
> chosen language(s) and conventions for dates, numeric and monetary
> formats, and other aspects of a system that differ according to your region.
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-l10n

For some reason, its new page is at:
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/index.en.html
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html

Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 06:00:07PM +0700, Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Pedro Insua wrote:
>
> > You can read The Debian Reference Guide:
> >
> > 9.7 Localization (l10n)
>
> I've done and generate UTF-8
>
> # dpkg-reconfigure locales
> id_ID.UTF-8 UTF-8
>
> And I have see it on /etc/locale.gen
>
> Then what's next so that my GNOME in Indonesian language?

We only have
iceweasel-l10n-id
gcompris-sound-id

Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 08:39:15PM +0700, Zaki Akhmad wrote:

> By accident, I restart my computer. Back login to Debian/GNU Linux.
> Voila! My Indonesian language is active ;-)

Good for you but I am still wondering why we have no task for indonesia.

Gnome seems to provide po files for all languages.

Ossamu