Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Harry Putnam

Default extract package name given a filename Message-ID: <87k596klul.fsf@newsguy.com>

Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> something like this:
> $ dpkg -S /bin/bash
> bash: /bin/bash

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

[...]

> Also:
> $ apt-file search /bin/bash
> bash: /bin/bash
> bash: /usr/bin/bashbug
> bash-minimal: /bin/bash-minimal
> bash-static: /bin/bash-static

These don't look like what I expected. I was half remembering
something involving dpkg and grep, Possibly dpkg has changed since a
few yrs and has that built in now with the -S switch offered by Jeff,

At any rate both of those posted look just as useful and simpler than
the cmd I was trying to remember... thanks