Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Chris Jones

Default Labeling backup DVD+RW's

For my backups, I bought a DVD burner and a pack of DVD+RW's but I'm stuck
with one major issue.

The upside of the DVD+RW's is kind of a yellow-gold-bronze color and I can't
seem to find any way I can write anything on them.

Does anyone know of a magical pen that would write something legible on that
surface and possibly come with an eraser so that I can reuse them and still
have a clue what I used them for?

Right now I have three labeled cases (current, minus one, minus two) for my
backups and I try to make sure I manually rotate the DVDs.

Is there an altogether better/smarter/reliabl-er solution?

Thanks!

CJ

Old 01-08-2009, 01:47 AM
Ron Johnson

For my backups, I bought a DVD burner and a pack of DVD+RW's but I'm stuck
with one major issue.

The upside of the DVD+RW's is kind of a yellow-gold-bronze color and I can't
seem to find any way I can write anything on them.

Does anyone know of a magical pen that would write something legible on that
surface and possibly come with an eraser so that I can reuse them and still
have a clue what I used them for?

Right now I have three labeled cases (current, minus one, minus two) for my
backups and I try to make sure I manually rotate the DVDs.

Sharpies don't work?

Is there an altogether better/smarter/reliabl-er solution?

Sharpies work on every optical disk I've ever needed to write on.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Chris Jones

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:47:53PM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/07/09 19:19, Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> >Is there an altogether better/smarter/reliabl-er solution?
>
> Sharpies work on every optical disk I've ever needed to write on.

Actually, I've never bought a Sharpie in my life to be honest - I only use
pencils. But it looks like they're inexpensive & that my local Staples might
have them.

Do they have an eraser to go with that .. or do I use rubbing alcohol?

Thanks!

CJ

Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Daryl Styrk

> Actually, I've never bought a Sharpie in my life to be honest - I only use
> pencils. But it looks like they're inexpensive & that my local Staples might
> have them.
>
> Do they have an eraser to go with that .. or do I use rubbing alcohol?
>
> Thanks!
>
> CJ

Most Sharpies are permanent. However you can find the fine tip dry
erase type near them at most stores. The dry erase type should wipe off
easily with a finger or soft cloth. Another thing you might be able to
do is find CD/DVD sticker labels and keep on using your pencils.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:22 AM
Ron Johnson

Is there an altogether better/smarter/reliabl-er solution?

Sharpies work on every optical disk I've ever needed to write on.

Actually, I've never bought a Sharpie in my life to be honest

Do you live outside the US?

- I only use
pencils.

It would never occur to me to use pencil on optical media.

But it looks like they're inexpensive & that my local Staples might
have them.

Do they have an eraser to go with that .. or do I use rubbing alcohol?

Rubbing alcohol is probably destructive to plastic optical media.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Richard Hector

[Chris - sorry for the accidental direct reply]

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 22:52 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> Actually, I've never bought a Sharpie in my life to be honest - I only use
> pencils. But it looks like they're inexpensive & that my local Staples might
> have them.
>
> Do they have an eraser to go with that .. or do I use rubbing alcohol?

I'd be tempted to just write on something that never needs erasing -
either a name that makes sense in a repeating cycle (eg 'Monday',
'Tuesday' etc) or just an index number, and keep a separate record of
which disk you need for which date. Otherwise you increase the risk of
damaging the disk.

Just my thoughts.

Richard

Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 AM
steve

Ron Johnson wrote:

> Rubbing alcohol is probably destructive to plastic optical media.

most definately, but using a sharpie to write on and toothpaste to
remove isnt. thats what ive used anyway.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 AM
John Magolske

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [090107 18:59]:
> On 01/07/09 19:19, Chris Jones wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a magical pen that would write something legible
>> on that surface and possibly come with an eraser so that I can reuse
>> them and still have a clue what I used them for?
>
> Sharpies don't work?

There seems to be some controversy regarding the use of Sharpie-type
permanent markers to write on optical disk media:

Numerous CD vendors have noted that the thin protective lacquer
coating can deteriorate from contact with certain solvents
in markers. To eliminate the risk, water-based markers are
recommended for CD labeling. As a solvent, alcohol is generally
less damaging than xylene and toluene, which are common in
aromatic solvent-based markers. According to anecdotal reports,
alcohol-based markers can be used to label CDs without causing
performance problems. However, there are no explicit lab test
results to show what effect solvents in markers have on different
CDs or DVDs, particularly over the long term.

http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/894.05/docs/CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf
[ 1.3MB pdf ]

Though a quick web search brings up many anecdotal stories of people
using Sharpies to label disks and having no problems...

There are also special pens available for marking disks, for example:
http://www.amazon.com/Archival-Gold-Safe-Solvent-Free/dp/B0007U7GSM

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact

Old 01-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Ron Johnson

Rubbing alcohol is probably destructive to plastic optical media.

most definately, but using a sharpie to write on and toothpaste to
remove isnt. thats what ive used anyway.

That's the 2nd thing I've learned this month. One more and that'll
be a record!

Anyway, O.M. is so cheap that I just get DVD+Rs in bulk and use them
once.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Chris Jones

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 01:33:17AM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/07/09 22:40, steve wrote:
> >Ron Johnson wrote:

Sorry for being unclear .. I meant I practically neve write on plastic,
leather .. etc. just paper .. and apart from stuff like checks etc. I use
cheap mechanical pencils.

As to Sharpies, I thought they were just for writing on whiteboards ..

> >>Rubbing alcohol is probably destructive to plastic optical media.

> >most definately, but using a sharpie to write on and toothpaste to
> >remove isnt. thats what ive used anyway.

I'll give that a shot ..