Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
"Javier Barroso"

Default How to request a resurrection of a debian package ?

Hi list,

I was looking for dcc, and then I read about it was a debian package,
but it was removed because of a security hole [1].

Researching, this security hole was fixed in upstream latter debian
removed it from its archive [2]

Now dcc version is 1.3.99,

I don't known what to do, but I'd like to see dcc in debian archives again.

I thought about:
1) writing a mail to control@bugs.debian.org with "reopen 464161" in
body/subject
I think it won't work

2) create a new RFP bug, it is fine ?

Thank you for your opinions

[2] http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-1047

Debian Rocks !

Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Javier Barroso wrote:
> Hi list,
Hello Javier,

> I was looking for dcc, and then I read about it was a debian package,
> but it was removed because of a security hole [1].
>
> Researching, this security hole was fixed in upstream latter debian
> removed it from its archive [2]
> 2) create a new RFP bug, it is fine ?
Yes, but... in the bug thread release team stated that modern versions of dcc package was
non-free. If it's still true for now it would be not easy deal to resurrect dcc in Debian.
But you can always try.

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Old 01-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/07/09 11:12, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:

Javier Barroso wrote:

Hi list,

Hello Javier,

I was looking for dcc, and then I read about it was a debian package,
but it was removed because of a security hole [1].

Researching, this security hole was fixed in upstream latter debian
removed it from its archive [2]
2) create a new RFP bug, it is fine ?

Yes, but... in the bug thread release team stated that modern versions of dcc package was
non-free. If it's still true for now it would be not easy deal to resurrect dcc in Debian.
But you can always try.

Or make your own package!

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Ron Johnson wrote:
> Or make your own package!
Yes. Or your own distribution. Or, maybe, your own computer.
Perhaps, own computing model? Hey, how about your own universe?
(just kidding )

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/07/09 15:45, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

Or make your own package!

Yes. Or your own distribution. Or, maybe, your own computer.
Perhaps, own computing model? Hey, how about your own universe?
(just kidding )

Making your own package (of a non-free app) is much simpler.

(Note that I was *not* trying to be sarcastic.)

Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
"Javier Barroso"

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 01/07/09 15:45, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
>>
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> Or make your own package!
Perhaps, I could take old package struct and subs .orig.tar.gz with new release

Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:47 PM
"Javier Barroso"

Hello,
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Eugene V. Lyubimkin
<jackyf.devel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Javier Barroso wrote:
>> Hi list,
> Hello Javier,
>>
>> I was looking for dcc, and then I read about it was a debian package,
>> but it was removed because of a security hole [1].
>>
>> Researching, this security hole was fixed in upstream latter debian
>> removed it from its archive [2]
>> 2) create a new RFP bug, it is fine ?
> Yes, but... in the bug thread release team stated that modern versions of dcc package was
> non-free. If it's still true for now it would be not easy deal to resurrect dcc in Debian.
> But you can always try.
I didn't read all the second comment in bug link. If license [1] is
not free then is not good for debian, and it is a joke to do a RFP.

Thank you for clarifications

Debian Roks!

[1] http://www.rhyolite.com/dcc/LICENSE