Old 01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum"

Default Lots of Gnome missing from Sid?

A while ago i asked for advice about upgrading--i wanted more up to date packages on my Lenny laptop. Thanks to some helpful suggests, i concluded that it was safe to go to unstable. I change /etc/apt/sources.list from lenny to sid, and away i went.

Since then things have been ok; sometimes a package i needed broke but it was alwaays back in a day or two.

Usually i use Synaptic, but today i ran apt-get from the commandline and it prompted me to remove unnecessary packages, so i ran this and without paying too much attention realized that it had removed 270MB of stuff, including very large chunks of Gnome as being "unnecessary'. Now my box is sort of unusable.

Is this some very temporary thing, or did i really bite off more than i could chew? How do i get back to a usable system?

Jen

Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
charlie derr

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

A while ago i asked for advice about upgrading--i wanted more up to date packages on my Lenny laptop. Thanks to some helpful suggests, i concluded that it was safe to go to unstable. I change /etc/apt/sources.list from lenny to sid, and away i went.

Since then things have been ok; sometimes a package i needed broke but it was alwaays back in a day or two.

Usually i use Synaptic, but today i ran apt-get from the commandline and it prompted me to remove unnecessary packages, so i ran this and without paying too much attention realized that it had removed 270MB of stuff, including very large chunks of Gnome as being "unnecessary'. Now my box is sort of unusable.

Is this some very temporary thing, or did i really bite off more than i could chew? How do i get back to a usable system?

Jen

My understanding is that sometimes packages need to get uninstalled to solve dependency issues (in order to properly process a
significant upgrade). If you're running unstable/sid, this will happen sometimes. As someone who's used sid/unstable on my main
desktop machines for many years I can tell you that most of the time the fix is as simple as reinstalling afterwards. Have you
tried yet something like (I've been following the advice to use aptitude instead of apt-get happily for years now also):

aptitude install gnome-desktop-environment

If you're very unlucky, then that might not be a sufficient answer (and there may be more fiddling/waiting necessary before you're
back up and running). Sorry I'm not a gnome power user (I prefer KDE) so I can't help with specifics (but I think it's likely
that others can/will).

My advice is to be much more careful with the timing of attempted upgrades. When running unstable, you shouldn't just blithely
upgrade regularly, and when you do upgrade, pay more attention to what is proposed for removal before allowing it to proceed. And
always give yourself a little bit of time afterwards to sort stuff out (don't ever attempt upgrades 10 minutes before planning to
leave your machine/office/home/whatever).

good luck,
~c

Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum"

--- On Wed, 1/7/09, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org <debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org> wrote:

> Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> > A while ago i asked for advice about upgrading--i
> wanted more up to date packages on my Lenny laptop. Thanks
> to some helpful suggests, i concluded that it was safe to go
> to unstable. I change /etc/apt/sources.list from lenny to
> sid, and away i went.
> >
> > Since then things have been ok; sometimes a package i
> needed broke but it was alwaays back in a day or two.
> > Usually i use Synaptic, but today i ran apt-get from
> the commandline and it prompted me to remove unnecessary
> packages, so i ran this and without paying too much
> attention realized that it had removed 270MB of stuff,
> including very large chunks of Gnome as being
> "unnecessary'. Now my box is sort of unusable.
> >
> > Is this some very temporary thing, or did i really
> bite off more than i could chew? How do i get back to a
> usable system?
> >
> > Jen
> >

> My understanding is that sometimes packages need to get
> uninstalled to solve dependency issues (in order to properly
> process a significant upgrade). If you're running
> unstable/sid, this will happen sometimes. As someone
> who's used sid/unstable on my main desktop machines for
> many years I can tell you that most of the time the fix is
> as simple as reinstalling afterwards. Have you tried yet
> something like (I've been following the advice to use
> aptitude instead of apt-get happily for years now also):
>
> aptitude install gnome-desktop-environment

Thanks. That was, in fact, all it took!

I thought that something had happened requiring Gnome to be removed, or that it wouldnt be so simple.

> My advice is to be much more careful with the timing of
> attempted upgrades. When running unstable, you
> shouldn't just blithely upgrade regularly, and when you
> do upgrade, pay more attention to what is proposed for
> removal before allowing it to proceed. And always give
> yourself a little bit of time afterwards to sort stuff out
> (don't ever attempt upgrades 10 minutes before planning
> to leave your machine/office/home/whatever).

Yeah. I already am sorta careful but ill be much mroe so. And ill totally say "no" if it wants to remove my entire system!

Thanks.

Jen

Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Chris Bannister

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:04:52AM -0800, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> Yeah. I already am sorta careful but ill be much mroe so. And ill totally say "no" if it wants to remove my entire system!

If you want to see what was installed/removed etc, check
/var/log/dpkg.log

--
Chris.
======