Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Ron Johnson

Default i386 vs amd64 revisited (was Lenny: which arch for a Intel Core 2 Duo?)

On 01/06/09 23:15, Chris Bannister wrote:

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 11:55:42PM +0000, thveillon.debian wrote:

Never had problem with w64codecs (debian-multimedia), but yes I forgot
about acroread plug-in which still requires nspluginwrapper (should be
working OK though, not too intensive), but i don't use it and never came
across a pdf I couldn't read with (Kpdf|Xpdf|Evince|Okular). Of course I
don't say it doesn't exist, my use of pdf's is quite limited...

I'm now running full amd64 and notice there is no crafty package[1] I
normally compile crafty from source anyway (to get the latest version)
but am getting errors even doing that. On i386 on this exact same
machine it compiled fine.

I think that's an issue for crafty-devel.

One of the main reasons I decided to do a full amd64 install was to see
what sort of search improvement I could get.

[1] Thought a package was supposed to compile on all architectures.

It is, theoretically. But the package has been orphaned, and it's
been years since there's even been an attempt to build on anything
but i386.

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/games/crafty
http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/crafty.html
http://buildd.debian.org/pkg.cgi?pkg=crafty

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.