Old 01-06-2009, 06:54 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

Default upgrading old-stable

On Tuesday 2009 January 06 12:49:34 Javier Barroso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:33 PM, roberto <roberto03@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hello,
> > i'd like to ask you the time until it will be possible to upgrade from
> > debian sarge to the actual debian stable (etch)
>
> You will can upgrade always from sarge to etch. Urls will change, but
> repositories from distros are archived and available from internet.

You answer is correct but, I *think* that Roberto may not be a native English
speaker and means:
"I'd like to ask how long it will take to upgrade from Sarge to Etch."

Never having done said task, I couldn't say. It depends a bit on how long it
takes to download all the packages. You should aptitude -d dist-upgrade to
get all the packages first, which will make no changes to your running
programs. After that is complete, then you can follow the normal proceedure,
and it should be quite fast, probably less than an hour, but it depends on
which packages you have installed.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Pavlos Parissis

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:33:15 +0100
roberto <roberto03@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello,
> i'd like to ask you the time until it will be possible to upgrade from
> debian sarge to the actual debian stable (etch)

I did that upgrade few months ago on my desktop system.
It worked without major problems. But, aptitude got automatically removed when
I had to install x11-common and xlibmesa-glu. I don't real remember why I had do it but aptitude got removed and I didn't see it because the list of removed packages was too long...

I copied the aptitude and one lib packages from my firewall systems(etch) and used dpkg to get them installed.
After that the upgrade went smoothly, as expected by a debian system.

Cheers,
Pavlos

Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
roberto

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> You answer is correct but, I *think* that Roberto may not be a native English
> speaker and means:
> "I'd like to ask how long it will take to upgrade from Sarge to Etch."
no, i was asking if there is a deadline to upgrade, not the time
necessary to undertake the process, which is not important for me,
also a couple of hours is fine ...

> Never having done said task, I couldn't say. It depends a bit on how long it
> takes to download all the packages. You should aptitude -d dist-upgrade to
> get all the packages first, which will make no changes to your running
> programs. After that is complete, then you can follow the normal proceedure,
> and it should be quite fast, probably less than an hour, but it depends on
> which packages you have installed.

thanks all the same, but the process showed in official debian pages
seems a little longer than a simple command;
anyway, i'll try all the same

thank you again

--
roberto