Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM
"Siju George"

Default Free alternative for Plesk on Debian

Hi,

Is there any free software that I can use Instead of Plesk on Debian?

Thanks

--Siju

Old 01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/06/09 07:42, Siju George wrote:

Hi,

Is there any free software that I can use Instead of Plesk on Debian?

What exactly *is* Plesk?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM
"Umarzuki Mochlis"

2009/1/6 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
> On 01/06/09 07:42, Siju George wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any free software that I can use Instead of Plesk on Debian?
>
> What exactly *is* Plesk?
>

>From Wikipedia:
"The Parallels Plesk Control Panel software package is a commercial
web hosting automation program."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plesk

http://gameornot.net

Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2009/1/6 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com>:
> >From Wikipedia:
> "The Parallels Plesk Control Panel software package is a commercial
> web hosting automation program."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plesk

The CLI will do everything that Plesk does and more. The learning
curve is only slightly higher, but with Google and this list you will
find it _easier_ in the long run.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Steve Kemp

On Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 16:36:49 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> The CLI will do everything that Plesk does and more. The learning
> curve is only slightly higher, but with Google and this list you will
> find it _easier_ in the long run.

There are open-source hosting panels. In my experience
all of the common ones have flaws - some minor some major.
You can find an incomplete list here:

http://wiki.debian.org/HostingControlPanels

Every year or so I test each of them, and every year I'm disappointed.
I sometimes support Plesk, and while it has problems it is pretty
slick.

ObDisclaimer: I'm involved in this http://vhost.bytemark.co.uk/

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration
http://www.debian-administration.org/

Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Dotan Cohen wrote:

2009/1/6 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com>:

>From Wikipedia:
"The Parallels Plesk Control Panel software package is a commercial
web hosting automation program."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plesk

The CLI will do everything that Plesk does and more. The learning
curve is only slightly higher, but with Google and this list you will
find it _easier_ in the long run.

CLI ? Command Line Interface?

Hugo

Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2009/1/6 Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>:
> CLI ? Command Line Interface?

Yup, that one. It will start and stop apache and mysql servers, you
can configure file with VIM, nano, or anything in between, browse the
file system, transfer files, and I think that there is even an
ncurses-based game or three out there.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 01-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 07:12:05PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any free software that I can use Instead of Plesk on Debian?

Plesk can do lots of things. It also creates lots of mess (I know it
mostly by repoutation. I had mostly the misfortune of knowing cPanel).

What does the server host? What type of services?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 PM
kj

Siju George wrote:

Hi,

Is there any free software that I can use Instead of Plesk on Debian?

Thanks

--Siju

As much as I loathe Plesk, it beats anything I've had the misfortune of
working with, except maybe CPanel. Of all the opensource panels,
ISPconfig works the best for me, but it can be frustrating to use.

Thinking about it, most of my hard feelings for Plesk is down to the
brain damage that is qmail, and sine Plesk 9 uses Postfix, I'm hopeful.
It is a pretty slick system, particularly in the back-end.

--kj