Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
"Umarzuki Mochlis"

Default Debian AMD64

I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.

Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Samir Cury

I tried to use it on my desktop AMD64 a year ago, and i had some problems with software installing, maybe it does exists but sometimes is harder to find, in the end you gain speed, but spend more time making your system as you want.

I don't think that still is advantage, maybe if you wanna learn or has free time, or want to pay someone to do it fot you. hehhee

hope i helped.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Johann Spies

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
>
> Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?

Points of difficulty can be:

1. Third party software that is not available. In my case I have to
run at least one i386-system to handle my scanner because the scanner
software from epkowa is not available for the 64-bit environment.
Skype and Googleearth are other examples. This problem can at least
in the case of Skype and Googleearth be solved by installing the
ia32-libraries.

2. Up till recently flash was also a problem but there is now a 64-bit
version of Adobe's flashplugin available.

I don't know what you are using for word processing. I use LaTeX.
Tools like Openoffice, Abiword ek Koffice works well on 64 bit.

For virtualization I use a 64-version of Sun's VirtualBox. Debian
packages are available. On our servers (also 64-bit) we use Debian's
Xen without problems.

I recently got a new Lenovo Thinkpad R61i and started out with Lenny
64-bit. However, I had several problems (like losing my network
connections intermittently) and in the end installed
Ubuntu Hardy amd64 and it had less problems - maybe because Ubuntu
uses drivers of which the license is not allowed in debian.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the
children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy
neighbour as thyself. I am the LORD."
Leviticus 19:18

Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 PM
"Nuno Magalh„es"

You'd be better off asking on debian-amd64.

If you have an amd64 CPU, use debian amd64.

I have no problems with Netbeans or youtube, to name a few.

Nuno Magalh„es

Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM
lostson

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 15:07 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> > I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> > AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> > use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
> >
> > Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?
>
> Points of difficulty can be:
>
> 1. Third party software that is not available. In my case I have to
> run at least one i386-system to handle my scanner because the scanner
> software from epkowa is not available for the 64-bit environment.
> Skype and Googleearth are other examples. This problem can at least
> in the case of Skype and Googleearth be solved by installing the
> ia32-libraries.
>
> 2. Up till recently flash was also a problem but there is now a 64-bit
> version of Adobe's flashplugin available.
>
> I don't know what you are using for word processing. I use LaTeX.
> Tools like Openoffice, Abiword ek Koffice works well on 64 bit.
>
> For virtualization I use a 64-version of Sun's VirtualBox. Debian
> packages are available. On our servers (also 64-bit) we use Debian's
> Xen without problems.
>
> I recently got a new Lenovo Thinkpad R61i and started out with Lenny
> 64-bit. However, I had several problems (like losing my network
> connections intermittently) and in the end installed
> Ubuntu Hardy amd64 and it had less problems - maybe because Ubuntu
> uses drivers of which the license is not allowed in debian.
>
> Regards
> Johann
> --
> Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036
> Informasietegnologie, Universiteit van Stellenbosch
>
> "Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the
> children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy
> neighbour as thyself. I am the LORD."
> Leviticus 19:18

Personally I am using 64 and have really had no problems at all. All
the software i needed was readily available. I have had no hiccups or
serious problems at all. And this may be trivial but rebuilding debs for
64 if you absolutely need them really is easier than one might think. If
you have a 64 you might as well use 64. I am using debian lenny if that
makes any difference to you. Hope it all goes well for you, and good
luck.
--
LostSon

http://lostsonsvault.org

Debian Lenny on amd64

Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 PM
"Umarzuki Mochlis"

Come to think of it, my main concern for this laptop (CQ40-115AU) is
it's wifi, altec lansing audio and it's webcam whether anyone ever got
them working on Lenny AMD64. Now still googling on that.

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Old 01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

I have had only a few problems with the latest installs of AMD64.
Software wise, I am happy and have not had any major problems recently.
Hardware I have had a few issues.

For example, my Intel PWLA8391GT network card[1]? Yeah, that totally
doesn't work in 64bit. Works perfect in 32bit. I have complained about
that before on the Debian list and I joined in on an already-filed bug
report back in August. So I am not the only one who has run into this
problem either.

I am not familiar with your wireless card, but if it has kernel drivers
you should be OK. It has been problematic for me when using wrappers and
windows binary blobs though. I am sure the mileage varies for different
cards.

Personally, I am so happy with 64bit that I am moving everything that I
can to it. I think it is certainly worth a shot. You might want to try
the Debian Live CD's [2]. They should be good enough for you to see how
much work it is going to require for your devices to function properly.
Plus you can test out Etch, Lenny, and Sid to see which one works best
for you.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Have fun!
~Stack~

[1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106123
[2] http://live.debian.net/cdimage/

Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Micha Feigin

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:56:52 -0200
Samir Cury <rimasy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to use it on my desktop AMD64 a year ago, and i had some problems
> with software installing, maybe it does exists but sometimes is harder to
> find, in the end you gain speed, but spend more time making your system as
> you want.

Most packages work now with amd64 (although not all). skype requires using the
static build. There is an open java plugin that works, sun said that they will
release on soon. Except for a few codecs most other things work.

What you gain is the ability to use more than 2gb installed memory (you can
just install the amd64 kernel and use 32bit userspace and then single programs
can't use more than 2gb memory each but the system can as a whole)

the downside is that programs use more memory (about 30% if I recall correctly).

Unlike popular belief most programs don't see a speed increase. The only ones
that may benefit are memory intensive mathematical programs.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Micha Feigin

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:58:21 -0200
Samir Cury <rimasy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Problems that i remember to get and some friends had too was mainly with
> java and flash installation. But if you really want, everything is easy.

flash is solved now that there is a 64bit version out. java plugin is still a
problem (there is a package called icedtea or something like that that provides
a 64bit java plugin that works for most stuff)

Not sure if all video codecs work, but the main ones do (never ran into one
that was a problem)