FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 AM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"
 
Default Make it impossible for websites to style forms in Debian Blizzardhawk

Blizzardhawk, Fireweasel, Icewolf, whatever...

Anyways, the issue is that I modified my GTK+ theme because I like
dark themes, and on some websites, all the form elements (buttons,
text boxes, radio buttons, checkmarks), look lovely:

http://sums.math.mcgill.ca/~jordi/piccies/exhibit-a.png

Yeah, they clash with the rest of the website design a little, but
whatever. I like it that way.

The problem is that in this modern web of ours, it's a favourite fad
to use all these fancy colours all over the place and style form
elements in ways that may look broken and unreadable because they
clash with our native theme (and since nobody uses light-on-dark
themes, it's ok to assume that we can use a light-coloured background
or dark-coloured text when we style our forms, right?):

http://sums.math.mcgill.ca/~jordi/piccies/exhibit-b.png

Basically, I'd like to make it impossible for websites to use colours
for forms at all, *but only forms*. Of course I can tell Mozilla
Webarachnid to not use any colours from the webpage at all, but that's
a bit extreme and monochromatic:

http://sums.math.mcgill.ca/~jordi/piccies/exhibit-c.png

I know that I can probably accomplish what I want by modifying some
CSS, but there are is so many CSS in various locations that I don't
know how to actually do it... perhaps with a Stylish theme, or with
userChrome.css or modify /usr/share/xulrunner-1.9/res/forms.css, or
what? What I want is for all forms elements to use my Gnome theme,
regardless of what the website author thinks the form element should
look like.

For added bonus, I'd like to accomplish this without the need of root
privileges.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,
- Jordi G. H.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 AM
"thveillon.debian"
 
Default Make it impossible for websites to style forms in Debian Blizzardhawk

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote :
> Blizzardhawk, Fireweasel, Icewolf, whatever...
>
> Anyways, the issue is that I modified my GTK+ theme because I like
> dark themes, and on some websites, all the form elements (buttons,
> text boxes, radio buttons, checkmarks), look lovely:
>
> http://sums.math.mcgill.ca/~jordi/piccies/exhibit-a.png
>
> Yeah, they clash with the rest of the website design a little, but
> whatever. I like it that way.
>
> The problem is that in this modern web of ours, it's a favourite fad
> to use all these fancy colours all over the place and style form
> elements in ways that may look broken and unreadable because they
> clash with our native theme (and since nobody uses light-on-dark
> themes, it's ok to assume that we can use a light-coloured background
> or dark-coloured text when we style our forms, right?):
>
> http://sums.math.mcgill.ca/~jordi/piccies/exhibit-b.png
>
> Basically, I'd like to make it impossible for websites to use colours
> for forms at all, *but only forms*. Of course I can tell Mozilla
> Webarachnid to not use any colours from the webpage at all, but that's
> a bit extreme and monochromatic:
>
> http://sums.math.mcgill.ca/~jordi/piccies/exhibit-c.png
>
> I know that I can probably accomplish what I want by modifying some
> CSS, but there are is so many CSS in various locations that I don't
> know how to actually do it... perhaps with a Stylish theme, or with
> userChrome.css or modify /usr/share/xulrunner-1.9/res/forms.css, or
> what? What I want is for all forms elements to use my Gnome theme,
> regardless of what the website author thinks the form element should
> look like.
>
> For added bonus, I'd like to accomplish this without the need of root
> privileges.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Jordi G. H.
>
>
Hi,

Disclaimer: I am no css expert, not even padawan...

I happen to share your taste for dark themes, and I solved some of my
issues with SandDonkey in /usr/share/xulrunner-1.9/res/forms.css by
basically hunting for

background-color: -moz-Field;
color: -moz-FieldText;

in the "input", "text area" and "select" fields
and replacing it with the desired values, like

background-color: #ffffff; //-moz-Field;
color: #000000; //-moz-FieldText;

(just an example, this won't necessary fit your theme).

If you're tired of hacking around css you can have a look at the
"Stylish" extension : https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/2108

and the customizable templates themes and styles that goes with on
userstyles.org :

http://userstyles.org/styles;site

http://userstyles.org/styles;app

Hope it helps,

Tom


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Michelle Konzack
 
Default Make it impossible for websites to style forms in Debian Blizzardhawk

Hi Jordi,

Am 2009-01-06 02:07:56, schrieb Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
> Blizzardhawk, Fireweasel, Icewolf, whatever...

...Iceape and Mozilla

> Anyways, the issue is that I modified my GTK+ theme because I like
> dark themes, and on some websites, all the form elements (buttons,
> text boxes, radio buttons, checkmarks), look lovely:
>
> http://sums.math.mcgill.ca/~jordi/piccies/exhibit-a.png

Whoops... I was not aware, that I can modify the look of a Website by
modifying a GTK+ theme...

Hey, this is a very interesting issue for my Intranet.

Please, can you tell me, where I can get more infos how to do this?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant


--
Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/
##################### Debian GNU/Linux Consultant #####################
<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>
Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)
 
Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"
 
Default Make it impossible for websites to style forms in Debian Blizzardhawk

Thanks for your response, Tom.

2009/1/6 thveillon.debian <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com>:
> I happen to share your taste for dark themes, and I solved some of my
> issues with SandDonkey in /usr/share/xulrunner-1.9/res/forms.css by
> basically hunting for
>
> background-color: -moz-Field;
> color: -moz-FieldText;
>
> in the "input", "text area" and "select" fields
> and replacing it with the desired values, like
>
> background-color: #ffffff; //-moz-Field;
> color: #000000; //-moz-FieldText;

So I do need to modify "system" files to accomplish this? It's not too
bad to do so, but that means I'll have to be careful when the next
update of Mozilla Seacrab comes along, because then I'll have to make
sure that apt doesn't overwrite my modifications.

Also, this specifies a colour, but do you know if it's possible to
have a setting where they inherit the Gnome theme?

> If you're tired of hacking around css you can have a look at the
> "Stylish" extension : https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/2108
>
> and the customizable templates themes and styles that goes with on
> userstyles.org :
>
> http://userstyles.org/styles;site
>
> http://userstyles.org/styles;app

Yeah. I looked at those, but they don't do exactly what I want (they
basically impose their own theme, one that happens to be
light-on-dark, but doesn't match my Gnome theme).

I'm thinking I should probably ask my question in a more CSS-specific,
Mozilla-specific location. I'll hunt around for one.

Thanks again,
- Jordi G. H.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
"thveillon.debian"
 
Default Make it impossible for websites to style forms in Debian Blizzardhawk

Sorry for the late reply,


Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote :
> Thanks for your response, Tom.
>
> 2009/1/6 thveillon.debian <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com>:
>> I happen to share your taste for dark themes, and I solved some of my
>> issues with SandDonkey in /usr/share/xulrunner-1.9/res/forms.css by
>> basically hunting for
>>
>> background-color: -moz-Field;
>> color: -moz-FieldText;
>>
>> in the "input", "text area" and "select" fields
>> and replacing it with the desired values, like
>>
>> background-color: #ffffff; //-moz-Field;
>> color: #000000; //-moz-FieldText;
>
> So I do need to modify "system" files to accomplish this? It's not too
> bad to do so, but that means I'll have to be careful when the next
> update of Mozilla Seacrab comes along, because then I'll have to make
> sure that apt doesn't overwrite my modifications.

That's certainly not an ideal situation, and clearly not the kind of
fuss I would expect for just happening to like dark themes... But I
don't know any other trick outside of this one for the forms problem.


>
> Also, this specifies a colour, but do you know if it's possible to
> have a setting where they inherit the Gnome theme?

Well, it's certainly possible, but outsourcing the color scheme in a
Gnome theme somewhere in the user files (I'm running KDE) isn't
necessary simpler than looking at the colors in the Gnome theme, then
using them in the forms.css xulrunner file. As I said my css kung-fu is
pretty lame...

>
>
> I'm thinking I should probably ask my question in a more CSS-specific,
> Mozilla-specific location. I'll hunt around for one.
>

You would most probably have better luck there, but if they (mozilla)
didn't notice the problem already despite the enormous number of mailing
lists and forum posts about it, maybe they don't know a good way to fix
it...

> Thanks again,
> - Jordi G. H.
>
>
While we're at it, here are the two other changes I usually make, this
time in user-land :


in ~/.mozilla/firefox/$(profile_number).default/chrome/userChrome
.css

this line permits to control the color of iceweasel's submenus :

menupopup > menu, popup, menuitem { color: red !important; }


Here the chosen color is red...


In the same location but file "userContent.css" I usually put after
whatever stuff is already there (this is compilation and variation from
"solutions" floating around the web) :

input {
border: 2px inset white;
background-color: white;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

textarea {
border: 2px inset white;
background-color: white;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

select {
border: 2px inset white;
background-color: white;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

input[type="radio"],
input[type="checkbox"] {
border: 2px inset white ! important;
background-color: white ! important;
color: ThreeDFace ! important;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

*|*::-moz-radio {
background-color: white;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

button,
input[type="reset"],
input[type="button"],
input[type="submit"] {
border: 2px outset white;
background-color: #eeeeee;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

body {
background-color: white;
color: black;
display: block;
margin: 8px;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}


This alone helps a great deal, it's the only way I found to get all the
buttons to display correctly with the text on it on many linux forums,
and some banks websites, and a few other things that just make web
navigation a pain...

You can also find links (not really, but in the body off the text you'll
find urls to the files) to some good css configuration files templates
on this blog entry : http://www.gomellow.com/?p=40


That's a lot of work for something that should just be couple of tick
boxes "dark gtk theme" and "dark firefox theme" in Firefox settings, but
it's the only way I've found so far.


Tom


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:29 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org